Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,543,993   Online: 1003

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't expect results to look much different than the Arista kit. I used to use three step Unicolor and results were just fine. But the formalin stabilizer is a good thing.

Price is a little scary though. I mayl be tempted to just buy the Arista kit and some separate formalin - PE has posted how to make a stabilizing bath.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanCarlson View Post
    Ooohh, I can't wait to try this, I've been using the Arista E6 Kit.
    Finally, a post that returns to the original topic! :-) I agree.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    The stabilizer is a required step, see B&W film doesn't need it, because silver is a natural bactericide, in colour films the silver is fixed out, and bacteria love gelatin, so it needs to be poisoned in some way so that the bacteria don't eat it. C41 films now use a different chemical for this, E6 uses formaldehyde for this.
    IIRC, the formalin in E6 is not just a bactericide, and there would be plenty of less problematic chems out there to do this. The formalin is necessary for dye stability, which is obviously not needed in silver grain based B&W and which has been made unnecessary in modern C41 emulsions.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Back around the year 2000, the makers of C-41 films changed the formulation so formaldehyde or its precursor, formalin, was no longer required for stability.
    Formalin is a 37% solution (by mass in water) of formaldehyde.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Formalin is a 37% solution (by mass in water) of formaldehyde.
    My mistake. Sorry about the misinformation. Either way, the formaldehyde/formalin is required for E-6 dye stability.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you know how long I have been waiting for this to show up in the US? Previously, I would have to buy the chemicals one at a time in insanely large 10+ gallon sizes, which would have been too expensive (Not to mention that I don't have any shelf space for 10/25+ gallon boxes). Equally expensive was to import the kit from dealers in England. (frankly, I also would not want to deal with currency exchange and US Customs) All in all, it's nice to see it around here again.

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I've been having to mix my own formalin solution to use with certain processes, it will be nice to have this available.

Btw, anyone know where I can get just regular 37% formalin?
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is really no such thing as 37% formalin. The active ingredient in formalin is formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a gas and is very soluble in water. When the water is saturated with formaldehyde it is 37% formaldehyde by weight. This is a chemical constant at normal room temperature and pressure. Formaldehyde in water is not stable and will degrade to into inactive compounds. Therefore it other compounds such as methanol are added to stabilize it. Formalin is often used as a “10% solution”. This means that the Formalin at “100%” is diluted 1+9 with water or more usually a buffer* to a “10%” solution. This is in fact 3.7% formaldehyde solution. A "37%" solution of formalin is possible but nobody sells it at that concentration.

* One of the breakdown products of formaldehyde is formic acid. The buffer keeps the pH in check.

As far was where to buy it; try a scientific or biologic supply company. I work in a research lab and we buy it all the time in gallon jugs. I am sure fisher scientific will supply in smaller amounts.

EDIT here it is
    http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servl...Y&fromSearch=1

There is also an MSDS sheet there that shows you how it will kill you. But get real. Look up the MSDS sheet for sodium chloride. It is just as scary when spelled out in an MSDS sheet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is the MSDS for sodium chloride. SCARY STUFF INDEED.

http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servl...&storeId=10652

Some out takes from the MSDS sheet
    Eyes Irritating to eyes.
    Skin May cause irritation.
    Inhalation May cause irritation of respiratory tract.
    Ingestion Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
    Eye Contact Rinse immediately with plenty of water, also under the eyelids, for at least 15 minutes. Obtain
    medical attention.
    Skin Contact Wash off immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Get medical attention
    immediately if symptoms occur.
    Inhalation Move to fresh air. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical attention immediately if
    symptoms occur.
    Ingestion Do not induce vomiting. Obtain medical attention.
    Eye/face Protection Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's
    eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166.
    Skin and body protection Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure.
    Respiratory Protection Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29 CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Use a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator if exposure limits
    are exceeded or if irritation or other symptoms are experienced.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 07-17-2012 at 10:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just made some cookies and the recipe called for NaCl. I did not induce vomiting. Success!
    I take donations for beer and film​.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin