Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,353   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Tetenal E6 avaialble in USA again

Tetanal E6 has finally arrived at Freestyle Photo! For those who have not used it, I highly recommend it. Gives results as good as the Kodak chemisry, but easier to use. German engineered.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c1002-...ls-Color-Slide

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice, I just got the Fuji 7 bath kit from England and cobbled together the replensher version of the Kodak chemistry thinking that this stuff was getting very rare. Nice to see the Tetenal kit!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and it looks like according to MSD sheet (page 35) stabilizer contains formaldehyde

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/ms...102031_002.pdf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedzmin View Post
    and it looks like according to MSD sheet (page 35) stabilizer contains formaldehyde

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/ms...102031_002.pdf
    wow! thats scary. can we leave the stabilizer off at the end of processing or use some other form of stabilizer? I understand some other kits like Arista's E-6 kit doesn't even use a stabilizer. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm

Formaldehyde is required for E-6

Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    wow! thats scary. can we leave the stabilizer off at the end of processing or use some other form of stabilizer? I understand some other kits like Arista's E-6 kit doesn't even use a stabilizer. Any thoughts?
    Back around the year 2000, the makers of C-41 films changed the formulation so formaldehyde or its precursor, formalin, was no longer required for stability. Sadly, they did not do this for E-6 films. If you have a 6-bath process that includes a pre-bleach step, the formaldehyde/formalin is in the pre-bleach. If you're using a 3-bath kit like the Tetenal kit, it's in the last step.

If you want your slides to be archivally stable, you must use a formaldehyde or formalin based stabilizer. There's no getting around it. Photo Engineer has written an extensive post about this on APUG, but I forget exactly where it is.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure you can, if you don't want your slides to be stable.

WTH? If you're scared of working with something because it contains formalin, I'd suggest staying out of the darkroom entirely. It's just not that dangerous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Sure you can, if you don't want your slides to be stable.

WTH? If you're scared of working with something because it contains formalin, I'd suggest staying out of the darkroom entirely. It's just not that dangerous.
    WTH indeed! What is it, ya wanna live forever??

Wear rubber gloves. Provide adequate ventilation. I used to load the tank, and then soup it in the kitchen with the exhaust fan running. Problems solved.

I would also suspect that the amount of formalin present, and the typical exposure to the user would be of little consequence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post

Wear rubber gloves. Provide adequate ventilation. I used to load the tank, and then soup it in the kitchen with the exhaust fan running. Problems solved.

I would also suspect that the amount of formalin present, and the typical exposure to the user would be of little consequence.
    Exactly. I dissected animals stored in the stuff in high school, and even at home with some Jr. Biology kit or something, when I was a child. Large scale industrial use or people who are exposed all day every day as part of their jobs are a different matter. Soaking your film in a bit of it now and then - that's all it takes. Some reasonable care. If people are really worried about formalin, hope they never find out about the various things under the kitchen sink.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may not, but I value my life and take MSDS sheets seriously.

Did you do a study on this?

I have made sure I have enough ventilation in my small darkroom. When I do E-6, I keep the door open. But I still want to treat carcinogenic chemicals with respect. There is a reason why E-6 processing has been relegated to the crazy few.

Shooter
    35mm
    The stabilizer is a required step, see B&W film doesn't need it, because silver is a natural bactericide, in colour films the silver is fixed out, and bacteria love gelatin, so it needs to be poisoned in some way so that the bacteria don't eat it. C41 films now use a different chemical for this, E6 uses formaldehyde for this.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin