Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,590   Posts: 1,545,949   Online: 1248

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Scanning technique matters.
    In the other thread I showed you how applying a normal black point to that image greatly changed the aspect of the picture, because the "washed" effect was actually a result of the scanning technique, not depending on the film character.

This is also to say that you can obtain the same "washed" look from any image from any film however developed provided you set the black point as not being black.

Comparing scans from different photographers, each using different scanners, typically non calibrated, and filtered based on different monitors, typically non calibrated, actually results in a comparison of different, random factors during the necessary hybrid phase and not a comparison of different films, or same film with different treatments.

To have a striking demonstration of how much calibration influences colour rendition it is enough to visualize the same colour image on two different non calibrated monitors side by side (your laptop and your desktop, your desktop and your tablet etc.). Colour rendition will vary a lot.

If you now re-filter those two images on the two different computers so that they look the same on the two different non calibrated monitors, when you see both images on the same monitor side by side you will see two quite different filtrations.

Making this easy experiment at home will easily tell you how indicative is to judge colours, film character etc. comparing images on flickr by different users . This is something which is often done in film forums - talking about colour qualities of film by just showing non colour-managed scans - but it is basically "not very" meaningful an exercise.

PS It just came to my mind that probably somebody will read the word "scan" and will immediately post that this is not the right forum for discussing scanning. To that I preventively answer that my post is not about scanning but about how faulty can be a comparison of non colour-managed scanned images while discussing analogue film colour behaviour.
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 07-15-2012 at 08:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So true what you have just said, Diapositivo, about scanning, and thanks for opening this aspect!
    Yes, with scanning and adjusting the curves in our scans we can either render the scans as possibly close as the actual photos, or modify them in the way we like them most.

BUT, here I have the definitive proof, the scanned image is very close to the actual slides. Hannah, the contributor, snet me a snap of these slide.
    I can only say, i just cannot wait to try myself Ektar in E6. Get a look and regards:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photoH.JPG  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin