Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,114   Online: 885

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can buy new Arista bulk film loaders. There are some sellers on Amazon who have some used Alden and Watson bulk film loaders. You might compare the prices you see on eBay with those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a few spare bulk loaders I can part with. Alden or watson, I forget. Bulk loading is trivially easy, really.

Portra 400 in 35mm is not cheap indeed, but after getting into 4x5, all 35mm film seems like a great bargain in comparison. 30 sheets of portra 400 in 4x5 is something like $95+! Even 120 film seems cheap compared to that. 8x10 is even worse....

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    Here's a playlist on bulkloaders that I put together to learn about them: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz
    ++ Way to go, cepwin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that Portra 400 is not cheap, I bought 60 rolls of it in 220 earlier this year, that was spendy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was shopping over at freestyle and was about to order a 100ft roll. I've done some figuring this evening, and aside from bulk loading expired 100ft rolls of color film, bulk loading really isn't worth the extra effort it seems.

If you get 18 rolls of 36exp from a 100ft bulk roll, I've figured this...

-by bulk loading TriX, I'm saving $1.32 per roll, or about $24 per 18 rolls shot.
    -by bulk loading HP5+, I'm saving $1.78 per roll, or about $32 per 18 rolls.

I can't find much in the way of color film in 100ft rolls anywhere, so aside from expired stuff at Ultrafine, there isn't much figuring to do because those last remaining expensive single rolls are the only thing out there.

So if realistically I'm only going to be bulk loading B&W film, and it takes that much longer to do, is my time really worth the $24-$32 extra savings?

The only advantage I can see at this point is the fact that bulk loading will allow me to roll 12 or 24exp rolls. Which in the long run is actually going to cost me more per frame, because of the amount of waste from leaders etc...

ETA: it looks like B&H has 100ft rolls of HP5 at $49, which works out to a savings of $2 per roll, or about $39 per 18 rolls. Which is a little better than the above.
    Last edited by ChristopherCoy; 07-24-2012 at 02:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I purchased a roll of Portra 160 about 2 months ago (bricks and mortar store). It cost AU$13.00. That's a bit more than $10! Fujifilm is increasing prices across its range too. But there are still bargains to be had from places like eBay dealers (that's the way I go). It's the price we have to pay for being a niche market, and a very expensive one to cater for (e.g. Fujifilm is often grumbling about the cost of production, sourcing and cost of raw materials, etc...).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Christopher,

Bulk loading is a real money saver over time in hard cost. I figure roughly every third 100' roll is "free" for me.

That hard cost saving isn't free:

I did need to invest in the tools and that took a couple 100' rolls to save enough to break even.

It also takes my time to load the rolls. Depends on your life here, for me, I just load while watching an old movie on the tube or listen to the radio and jabber with the wife as I go. Since I was going to sit there and jabber anyway there's no cost in time for me. In fact it turns my hanging with the wife time into time I get "paid" for. Penny saved is a penny earned.

Short rolls are the real magic and real savings for me. The problem with 36-exp rolls is that a typical shoot for any given subject for me is between 10-16 frames, 20 shots is normally more than enough to avoid reloading in the middle. So, with 36-exp rolls my films either languish in the camera waiting for another 2 subjects/shoots or I develop and toss out 16-26 blanks on each roll.

Short rolls allow me to get the film in, shot, and back out of the camera quickly without wasting a lot of frames.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post

Short rolls are the real magic and real savings for me. The problem with 36-exp rolls is that a typical shoot for any given subject for me is between 10-16 frames, 20 shots is normally more than enough to avoid reloading in the middle. So, with 36-exp rolls my films either languish in the camera waiting for another 2 subjects/shoots or I develop and toss out 16-26 blanks on each roll.

Short rolls allow me to get the film in, shot, and back out of the camera quickly without wasting a lot of frames.
    Totally agree with that.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin