Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,592   Online: 1093

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Color palette is always a matter of taste. If there was fresh Agfachrome 100 with the pastel look it had in the late 1980s, I'd be shooting it.

That said, a cyan cast sounds like a printing issue more than a film issue, since it's negative film, and the negative always has to be interpreted to produce accurate color.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I love Kodak , I have no problem with them and I use them but I cant agree with their Ektar and movie films. I saw many Ektar shots at gallery and high contrast and low contrast colors seem to me out of taste , not artful or harmonic. But Portra is excellent , may be they stopped Ektachrome and stop its compete with modern film colors to open space for new films. If I cant find fresh portra anymore here , I will go back to 5222 route with Microdol 1+1 and leave the color photography. Wow I have a problem with Kodak management also.!!!

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In fact i was thinking Ektar will be my favorite color neg, i liked it, but once i used Reala 100 i changed my mind completely, Reala is my favorite color film now, and if this is going to be discontinued also then i will give up color film and use digital for color, Ektar100 will not make my mind over Reala as it didn't so far.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Been using Ektar exclusively for a project recently and it's my colour film of choice for anything other than people. Definitely an acquired taste and very problematic in my experience under blue skies - and I won't go anywhere near dawn or sunset with it either. I've been producing most of my work in a very green place and this is the reason I chose the film. It does something quite unique with greens, specifically under overcast skies - which are just about the only skies we get here.

In flat light the added punch you'll get from colours can work wonders if you're very selective - but isn't that the trick of photography anyway?
    The saturation and contrast are definitely too much for me in direct sunlight. And of course, that cyan cast isn't going to be helped by blue skies - yes, shadows look like swimming pools.

In my mind it should be sold as a 'flat light film'. If you look at any contemporary colour work, you'll notice blank skies a plenty. Something tells me this film is aimed directly at those adhering to this popular aesthetic. Kodak's first 'fine art' film?

An ollllld image, but the kind of 'scene' I feel the film works best under.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	599.8 KB 
ID:	53910

The American Jeff Brouws uses Ektar and I'm almost certain this image is - http://www.jeffbrouws.com/series/highway_F13.html
    Last edited by batwister; 07-14-2012 at 09:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps something was slightly off with the processing. Give Kodak a call and let them know....
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used it few times in the past. As Kodak says, it's super saturated in color. It wasn't to my taste. I didn't think any particular color was more saturated than others.

I think of it as a special purpose film where color saturation is important.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with most here. Nothing wrong with my processing - done by A&I in Hollywood about 3 years ago. My Ektar scanned on Nikon 5000. Cyan cast. Also vast majority of online examples of Ektar 100 also look bad.

Here's what I think: I think Kodak told their (young, fresh out of RIT, RPI, MIT, etc) engineers to build the best ISO 100 color neg film they could. This is not a film devised by Kodak's all time best and brightest.

If it were any good, they'd be selling a lot more of it. It sells only because its one of the last standing. That's all.

I'll research the Fuji Reala in 120 y'all mentioned.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't scan, but optically print my negatives and I have never had any of the problems with Ektar that people complain about, no blue in the shadows, no cyan cast, etc. So I believe scanning must be causing a lot of the problems users have. I have been using films for over 30 years and it is not a poorly designed film. I would not use it where good skin tones are important due to its higher saturation but when vivid colors are desired it does well when exposed and printed properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This shot alone made my mind for Reala 100

Name:	img010v.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	53925

And here are 2 shots from Ektar that i feel it is fine, but i favor color of Reala over Ektar

Name:	img186z.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	53926

Name:	img183b.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	53927

Sorry, but all scanned by my flatbed, wish to have a drum scanner or at least film dedicated scanner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh there are more of Reala, sorry to hidjack

Name:	img013v.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	53929

Name:	img067m.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	663.6 KB 
ID:	53928

Name:	img192k.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	679.6 KB 
ID:	53930

Name:	img190.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	602.5 KB 
ID:	53931

Name:	img191m.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	561.0 KB 
ID:	53932

My bad sharpness killed some of those shots. If you want to see some more from Ektar let me know.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin