Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,238   Online: 895

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak Ektar 100 - Is This a Bad Joke from Kodak?

Hello,

I shot a couple rolls of this and I thought the cyan color cast was depressing - as in some 1950's or 1960's era type color film.
    I mean, google the name Kodak Ektar 100 and look at all the images, they also look like it has a very limited color pallet...

I mean who's drinking this Kool-Aid, er using this film? Why? I won't argue with you. I just want to hear your viewpoint if you like this film.

The reason I seem upset is that I am looking to stockpile some color neg film that will last, hence the slow speed. But Fuji Reala 100 has been discontinued and Kodak Ektar 100, well, looks less than promising.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All I can say is that with normal lab processing and subsequent scanning (Coolscan 9000, Silverfast 8.0 on a Mac), one usually has to tweak the color profile for accurate color; in Silverfast this is accomplished by editing the (proprietary) "Negafix" profile.

My out-of-the-box result with this scanning setup are exactly like you described.

It's supposed to be a film emulsion specifically designed for scanning, and I guess it is worth persevering to get optimal results.

Oh, and one final thing - underexposure probably shifts the colors to a hellish blue/magenta cast!

The bottom line is probably that Ektar does live up to its hype.

With greetings from Athens,

Xen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've shot a few rolls in the past few years and have had no problems with scans. Some shot at night, some shot during the day.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like it but I found I had to over expose a little bit to stop the sky going too cyan.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i have had similar results - mainly with the sky being too cyan. I also do not find the film to be "ultra vivid color" as described by kodak... but then i mostly use transparency film when i shoot color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you like Reala there's a fair chunk of it available. (I assume you are talking about 120 given your profile).

Amazon has it.

Adorama has it.

B&H is showing a backorder not a discontinuance.

There's plenty on eBay.

Why are you grousing about a film you aren't being forced to use and apparently haven't even tried yourself?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    If you like Reala there's a fair chunk of it available. (I assume you are talking about 120 given your profile).

Amazon has it.

Adorama has it.

B&H is showing a backorder not a discontinuance.

There's plenty on eBay.

Why are you grousing about a film you aren't being forced to use and apparently haven't even tried yourself?
    To be fair, the OP did indicate he'd used a couple of rolls of the Ektar . . .

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought a 5 pack earlier this year in 120, expecting it to be like the Ektar I used in the 90s. I dont think its terrible, but I'm mostly using it with lenses that weren't intended for color film anyway (1920s and earlier generally). But, needing some more, I bought Reala (a 5 pack from Amazon - better price than Ektar anyway, around $20, I think)

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haven't shot a ton of Ektar, but so far I love it. But I don't like it for all purposes, so I also use a Portra 160 when I need low ISO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkasha View Post
    To be fair, the OP did indicate he'd used a couple of rolls of the Ektar . . .
    You are absolutely right, I goofed there. My apologies about that Andre.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin