Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,339   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Recommendation for a color film that will take some enlarging and good for action

I would like to take some photos of our beloved dog that could take some enlargement, hopefully at least 12X18.

I also want to take some action shots of her, is there any film that would be good for both?

Or am I asking too much?

Sorry, it has been a long time since I have shot with film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In color Kodak portra 400 , in B&W Ilford delta 400 or Kodak Tri-x , Tmax 400 it's depend if you want
    grain or fine grain picture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, you are not asking too much.

In 35mm I like lower ISO films like Portra 160. It is only 1-1/3 spots slower that the 400 so unless you are shooting low light action shots 160 is not normally a deal breaker even for action shots.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I'd go for a 400 or 800 but I enjoy grain.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There are no endless selection for films today. But all depends what kind of color palette or grain or tonal range you do like and how your lens manages all of them.
    Best way is to travel at flicker and see the film examples. Copy and paste as much as you want to see similar at your final prints and tell us your lens and than let us try to figure out how can we help you .

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For action shots you'd really want the faster film. I'd recommend Portra 400. That should do fine unless you are trying to shoot at night without flash.

BTW, what color is your doggie? Also, is he/she one of those fidgity types? I always had difficulty photographing my black dog. I always had to bevery mindful of lighting, shadows, etc. And the other dog -- some sort of crazed retriever -- would never stay still so action shots were the only kind possible with him.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    No, you are not asking too much.

In 35mm I like lower ISO films like Portra 160. It is only 1-1/3 spots slower that the 400 so unless you are shooting low light action shots 160 is not normally a deal breaker even for action shots.

Thanks for the suggestion, given that I am generally going to be photography her outside chasing her ball, fetching, etc, I am assuming the amount of available light won't be a problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Portra 400 is your best bet for a faster film, however you'd be much better off shooting a slower finer film and using a large-aperture lens to get the shutter speed up if necessary. I wouldn't do a 12x18 from 35mm unless it was something in the TMX/Acros/Pan-F class, which is a lot finer than any 400-speed film. I'd probably be happy with P400 at 8x10".

I would suggest that you get some Portra 160, Fuji Pro160S or Ektar and maybe a fast(er) lens. In full sun, you can shoot a 160-speed neg film at 1/250 f/11 to get sharp results. If the hard lighting is a problem, use some fill-flash.

Likewise with light-overcast conditions (f/8 light), you can shoot P160 at f/5.6 1/250 or Ektar at 1/200 f/5.6 and get excellent results. The Ektar would easily enlarge to 12x18".

Edit: black dogs and Ektar will be a challenge as it doesn't like underexposure or large dynamic range - think of it as shooting a chrome. If you want a good shot of a black dog, you need to photograph the specular highlights on the fur, which means the dog needs to be against a darker background but have a lot of skylight reflecting off the fur - darkfield lighting. For example, if you can get the dog in the sun in front of a dark hedge and get as low as possible to maximise the sky/sun specular reflections. And give it a bath+brush first, it will give you an extra stop of gloss to the coat!
    Last edited by polyglot; 07-16-2012 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    12x18 from 35mm with today's films is not a problem. I have printed 24x36 from 35mm color with great results, but it is not easy. So given the recommendations above, pick a film and shoot away. Do not be afraid to try more than one film.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    For action shots you'd really want the faster film. I'd recommend Portra 400. That should do fine unless you are trying to shoot at night without flash.

BTW, what color is your doggie? Also, is he/she one of those fidgity types? I always had difficulty photographing my black dog. I always had to bevery mindful of lighting, shadows, etc. And the other dog -- some sort of crazed retriever -- would never stay still so action shots were the only kind possible with him.
    Layla is cinnamon with brindling.

She likes to lay down and have people rub her belly, but I am interested in some action shots of her fetching, running, jumping, leaping.

She is a very agile and athletic girl and very proud of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin