Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,442   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which cheap film to buy at Walgreens to practice shooting?

I have been away from film for about 8 years and I just got a new camera, an N65.

I was thinking of getting some cheap film from Walgreens to practice with versus using my more expensive Portra and Ektar.

All of these are in stock at a Walgreens that is walking distance for me.

I am also thinking that supporting their film sales now and then might be a good thing.

http://www.walgreens.com/search/resu...t=film&x=0&y=0

Any opinions on any of these?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used all of the Kodak Gold Ultramax films and like them. The colors are strong and the exposure range is quite forgiving. The 400 is my favorite of that grouping.

My Walgreens has their own film as well. I've tried a few rolls of it and while I'm not crazy about it my grandkids use it and love it. They shoot a lot of film.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used and think all of the Kodak films would be fine. I am not sure about the store brand films, but someone on here may know who makes this film and have used it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For color negative film, I always buy whats on sale for cheapest price. Most of the time I end up with a four roll package of Fuji 200 and am always satisfied.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post
    I have been away from film for about 8 years and I just got a new camera, an N65.

I was thinking of getting some cheap film from Walgreens to practice with versus using my more expensive Portra and Ektar.

All of these are in stock at a Walgreens that is walking distance for me.

I am also thinking that supporting their film sales now and then might be a good thing.

http://www.walgreens.com/search/resu...t=film&x=0&y=0

Any opinions on any of these?

Thanks.
    Any name brand film should be fine, I try to stay away from store brand films, simply because you never know what it is, now it could be Kodak, next contract it could be Fuji or Lucky or even something made by some guy in India. The most economical is to pick a film, something in a 400ISO would be good, use it, learn what it can and can't do, learn how far you can push it, before it pushes back. Once you know a film really well, your not wasting frames on stuff it can't do. Many times with a film you know well, you can look at a scene and know what the film will record.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up two five-packs of expired Kodak Gold 100 for ten bucks (craigslist). I shot a roll and it looked pretty good. Expired film is great for non-critical shooting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As already said, any name brand stock is going to be fine. Kodak and Fuji's consumer lines work great for the money you pay. I've used both and have no complaints.

Store-branded stuff is less predictable since you don't know what kind of rebrand it'll be, but the number of film manufacturers in the world is quite limited. If you're willing to try out the store brands, you might end up with something you're quite happy with. Fuji is often rebranded, as is Ferrania (Italy).

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak Gold 100 at $2.15 per 36 exposure roll is not only cheap but great quality.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Target charges less for Kodak film than Walgreen's. Walgreen's brand film is Fuji and very good.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only problems I have with the multipack is that they are 24 exposure rolls. I find it cheaper to mail order 36 exposure rolls. The real savings is not so much in the purchase price of the film but the developing costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin