Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,133   Posts: 1,613,709   Online: 789

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The photos you posted look like they coud easily have been taken with the Hipstamatic application on an iPhone (yes, I know they weren't).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what a sh#%yyyyyy comment! just quit! and hipstmatic yourself out!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    not sure how anyone can find her work boring.
    thats how i feel! and if you dont like her work fine by me, but you have to acknowledge her ability to produce good art

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've seen Sally Mann's work in person and absolutely loved it, I especially adore the ones in her "Immediate Family" series.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I greatly admire Sally Mann. I like that she is so willing to confront and use process as an important element in here work. She is an artist who is not concerned with taste and is willing to endure new criticism every time she embarks on a new project. Do I like everything she does? No, but all of it interests me, and therefore I don't find her boring.

About the color, my wife recently shot a roll of Kodak color negative film in a Diana color. I had it processed by a reputable professional lab, and was amazed at the color rendition. I scanned the film for her and I must say the color bore no resemblance to reality or conventional color rendering. So, yeah, lenses can really make a difference.

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW, I DON"T like the Hipstmatic application and would never use it... I just don't link gimmicky photos no mater how they are produced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by codyjgraham View Post
    thats how i feel! and if you dont like her work fine by me, but you have to acknowledge her ability to produce good art
    Sure, I guess. Or at least "art" others admire. Personally I'd prefer work I hate, at least it stirs a passion within. A friend of mine had a couple of her books. Less than halfway thru I was skipping pages anxious to get to the end and soon as was looking to find another book on the shelf. In particular the ones of her kids in the woods and back country seem contrived to me. And worst of all contrived in a way to try to not look contrived. Maybe that does not make sense...

Anyway. To each his own of course. When others dislike photographers I like I do not find it a personal affront as many seem to. (not you, others!) :-)
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 07-23-2012 at 05:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    dagerreotipes seem a nice gimmick... as autocromes, finlaycolor, dufaycolor, photography is a gimmick... and a lie! lie the best you can but don´t foul yourself...
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    gah this means i have to shell out more money for a new lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love Sally Mann. I also like Hipstamatic on the iPhone. There is a great doc on Sally Mann titled What Remains, where you can see a fair bit of her at work on wet plate.
    The colour photos you refer to were made in the late '90s so she would have had a much wider choice of colour films then than are available now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin