Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,998   Online: 901

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RA4: Choosing Color Paper

My Omega C760 arrived this week, and now I'm ready for chemicals and paper. I want to use the Kodak Ektacolor chemicals (though I'm having trouble finding the one gallon sizes). I intend to print at room temperature, and initially in trays.

As far as paper, I see that Adorama brands their own color enlarging paper, and it's relatively inexpensive. I wonder if this wouldn't be a good paper to start with, since I see myself burning a lot of paper while I scale the learning curve. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Another option is Kodak paper in sheets. My understanding is that Kodak only manufactures this paper in rolls now, but different sellers on eBay seem to still stock (or still have or cut their own) sheets of Kodak paper. If this seems viable, maybe someone can suggest a particular paper.

In any case, my preference is a low or semi-gloss 8x10 paper.

Bonus Question: I got a set of Kodak color print viewing filters with my enlarger. They look okay, but they're very old (mid 80s). Are they still usable?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cheap is good to start with, you'll be tossing a bunch. Once you get your process learned and get a feel for color correction then you can worry about settling on a paper.

I actually buy Ektacolor Edge rolls and cut my own, that does take a bit more planning, more cash up front, and a few more tools but it keeps the cost per sheet down.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    check freestyle's selection, they have their own paper as well.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Factory packaged kodak endura, sometimes outdated, is still available and perhaps the best choice. It is fine even a few years after expiration date.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my opinion, if you are just starting out, get fresh paper either from Kodak or Fuji. Don't get questionable stock which can be old, expired or badly kept. I'd say get some fresh Fuji CA from freestyle or a fresh(!) roll of Kodak paper. Once you get a hang of color filtration, then you can start experimenting with the old, cheap, e-bay or off-brand paper. In your first printing session you really don't want to spend time trying to figure out where this yellow tint is coming from - whether it's from bad filtration, old paper, bad chemicals, stray light or the old faded filter on your safelight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing that matters with any color paper is image stability. Most all color papers have the same speed, slightly different tones but vary widely in image stability.

Practice with what you wish, but use either Endura or CA papers for your good stuff!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the Freestyle paper has been identified (can't vouch for the accuracy but there aren't that many things it could be) as rebranded CA.

If it's fresh, how can you get anything EXCEPT Endura or Fuji CA? Aren't they the only ones made now?

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mitsubisi and Lucky both list R4 paper, at least in rolls but they may cut to order.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As many different opinions as responses (!).

Is there any source for fresh cut Kodak paper? If not, what's the next best thing? I see cut Kodak paper available on eBay -- presumably old stock, but in most cases the item description states "no expiration date."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think some folks are cutting it down and re-selling. At least I saw some like that in plain white boxes last time I looked. Or just get Fuji in cut sheets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin