Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,413   Online: 1094

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a box of paper at a photo lab in town that the lab bought from them and it was definitely slightly expired Ultra Endura. It had a slightly yellowish cast, however, rather than a slightly greenish cast, so it's probably not the same exact issue.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim;

The yellow cast is more usual with old Endura.

A cyan or green cast is (as I said before) usually due to safelight fog.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    PE - thanks for your reply. It was suggested above that I might have problems with my developer. Do you see anything wrong with the way I'm mixing my dev? Could an error in developer mixing cause such a cast? I'm very careful with mixing my chemistry, so I don't believe my developer was contaminated with anything foreign.

I also found an old unopened box of Supra Endura. I'd say it's at least 5 years old. Tried developing a sheet of that. It didn't come out with a noticeable cast, but it's definitely not white either. I'm assuming this is due to age.

I also carefully checked my DR for light leaks - none that I could find.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contamination of developer with Blix can cause a cyan-green cast sometimes.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had a magenta cast before with safelight fog... I find a yellow Cast on Ra4 paper has happened on aged paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A magenta cast would come from a green safelight. Most people use a dim red safelight giving a cyan or green fog. If you overdo the Kodak recommended WR13 safelight you get a blue fog.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So can a Kodak #13 Amber Safelight still be used with the new RA-4 digital papers? It was my understanding that the new papers are quite a bit faster than the older papers were.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the WR13 can be used.

Use the Kodak guideline for time of exposure and wattage.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Generally with expired Endura, it's a yellowish cast to the whites, as PE mentions. Cut sheet endura is still good even several years out of date. I'd say less than 5 years out is nothing to worry about, and you'd only notice the yellow cast if you have fresh paper to compare with. Freezing can help extend it even further. Beyond that it gets a bit more noticable but still usable. I used some that had been stored poorly (by me), in hot attics and whatnot, since 1993 (!!), Supra II. It was heavily yellow cast, so much that I couldn't correct it enough to get it neutral, but it still gave a semi-decent print, just not really color correct, and contrast seemed lower than it should have been. But it still printed! amazing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well,
    I mixed up some fresh developer and have tried some unexposed Supra Endura and Crystal Archive Type C. Neither of the papers had a noticeable cast. However, they're not white either. They've been stored in my Basement for at least 5 years - not refrigerated - probably exposed to temps as high as 80 during the summer months. The Crystal Archive is lighter than the Supra Endura and seems usable on images that don't have a lot of bright highlights.
    Just to be sure - am I correct in assuming a processed unexposed piece of paper should come out as white as an unexposed piece of paper that is put straight into the Bleach-Fix without development?

I've read many threads here stating that RA-4 paper can be used well past its expiration date. So far I've tested at least 4 or 5 different boxes of paper - including a couple that have never been opened. None of them come out white when I develop an unexposed piece.

One thing has occurred to me. I live in New Hampshire - the Granite State. One of the things about living here is that the granite contains significant amounts of thorium and uranium leading to problems with radon gas. My house was built in 1870 and the basement walls are made of large granite blocks. I wonder of my paper has aged faster than normal due to exposure to radiation from radon gas?

If so, should I consider building a lead lined box to store my paper, or would the metal in a refrigerator provide enough protection? I do not remember exactly which particles radon emits, but as I recall, they're not very penetrating - the only reason radon gas creates a health threat is because you inhale it into your lungs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin