Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,262   Online: 932

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Help please: Shouldn't unexposed RA paper develop white?

So I just got some Kodak Supra-Endura and Ultra-Endura from Ultrafineonline.com. 2 boxes of 50 sheets. Looks like they cut them down from rolls and re-packaged the paper in their.own box.
    As a test, I took a piece of each straight out of the Box and into my Jobo to process. As they were unexposed, I expected them to come out white after development. Instead both sheets have a distinct greenish hue.
    Any ideas on what could cause this?

I'm processing with Kodak Ektacolor RA-RT developer replenisher 10l kit (cat# 8415580). The replenisher was mixed up 2 weeks ago. To make a tank solution, I don't use a dev starter, however, I do dilute the replenisher with water. So where the Kodak sheet says to mix 800ml replenisher with 175ml water and 25ml dev starter, I mix 800 ml replenisher with 200ml distilled water to make a working solution.
    I'm using Ektacolor RA Bleach-fix 10l kit (cat#8309031) for my bleach-fix.

I process at 95deg F.

1 min pre-wet
    1min developer
    30 sec stop bath
    30 sec wash
    1 min Bleach-fix
    6 30 sec. wash cycles.

Does anyone else have experience with paper from Ultrafineonline? It the repackaged paper they sell outdated?
    Any ideas on how I should proceed to determine where the problem is without buying yet more paper? I'd hate to go spend $100-200 on a roll of paper only to discover the problem is with my chemistry.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some years ago I bought some BW paper from them that was not just fogged but actually black for a 1/4 inch along one edge. Vowed never to buy from them again.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Grr.... I was afraid of something like that. Although given the evenness of the color cast, I don't think the paper was exposed to light. I suspect it's just old. Since it's repackaged, there's no way to tell how old it really is.

I didn't get a good feeling when the paper arrived and I discovered the box of supra-Endura was mislabeled as ultra-Endura. The feeling got worse when I sent them an e-mail asking if it had been mis-labeled and the reply was a single line in large type that said yes the package was mislabeled. No apology, not even a salutation in the reply - I guess they were too busy to write a reasonable reply.

The other thing I noticed is the paper doesn't say anything on the back. All my older Endura paper says Kodak Endura on the back, so I'm left wondering if this paper is even what it says it is.

Is the normal failure mode for old Kodak RA-4 paper to develop a greenish cast?
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like the paper has either expired or was not stored properly. I've experienced a cyan cast with old paper. No change in the filter pack would produce a good print.

I am surprised that this company is still in business. They seem to repackage anything that is available and do not tell the buyer if they change to a difference paper or film. No telling what the paper is if it doesn't say Kodak. Remember Kodak stopped making paper several years ago. Color materials do not age as well as BW.

I developed a severe sensitivity to the color developing agents and can no longer make color prints. So my experiences are from some years ago.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-27-2012 at 09:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, sounds like fog to me from a safelight.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Remember Kodak stopped making paper several years ago.
    Are you talking about cut sheet boxes, Gerald? Kodak RC color paper for RA-4 processing is readily available fresh. The current offerings may be limited to Kodak Professional Endura Premier and Metallic papers, and it is only available in rolls. Was this paper being sold fresh today actually made several years ago?

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    No, Kodak still makes RA-4 paper, but as you said only in rolls. All they did was stop selling cut sheets about 2 years ago with the release of Supra Endura VC. (Supposedly, the new VC paper is only suitable for use with digital exposure systems, but I've come across a few people who have used it for optical prints and claim it works fine, albeit with higher contrast. No idea if this is actually true or not, as I haven't tried it myself.)

Shooter
    35mm
    I always buy my paper and chemicals from a reputable known dealer here in UK. A couple of years back, Kodak paper became unobtainable in cut sheets but it was still available in rolls. I could cut the paper but it isn't worth the hassle so opted to go over to Fuji Crystal archive instead. which is in sheets.

I am not as happy with Fuji as I was with Kodak, but that is the way of things.

Perhaps when you mix your RA4 Developer you should use the 'starter' for the initial batch. Then for replenishment the Kodak Ektacolour without the starter. I have never had the problems you describe but that sounds as if it has been in poor storage conditions and got too warm at one stage.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For starters - Kodak papers:

no marking on back = ULTRA.
    Kodak logo on back = Supra\Portra.

This was done so you can tell them apart once they are out of the box, no matter if it came off a roll or cut sheet box.
    I also heard from someone here there are is no more lower contrast paper and Ultra is the only option out there (but i dont know where\when that is)

Ultra has a much higher base shift to green\red.

Since you are not mixing your chems as the instructions call for, i would start by at least trying to do that, mixing fresh chems.
    This sounds like you have a contaminated developer, which would normally cause a blueish tint on mostly white developed paper if un exposed, but that would be the first place to look.

Old paper would come out yellow ish, and safe light exposure would appear uneven and darker at areas.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kodak discontinued Ultra endura about a year ago. For at least two years before being discontinued Ultra was only available in rolls larger than 20". So yeah, if you purchased ultra endura in sheets smaller than 16x20 it's no longer fresh.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin