Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,231   Online: 983

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

An old roll of Fujifilm NPS 160 - unopened - still useable?

WHen I visited my Dads the other day, he gave me an old unopened and unexposed roll of Fujifilm NPS 160. He's had it for "years" he said and it has never been in the fridge. It doesnt have a best before date on it.

Due to the development and printing costs these days, I don't want to use it, spend £15 on development and scanning\printing only to find it was no good.

Do you think it will be useable or shall I just throw it away?

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    35mm
    Someone would probably be interested in it for the cost of a stamp, offer it for free here rather than chuck it. It probably is OK, maybe no good for important work, but for fun stuff. I'd get it developed only and inspect the negs before paying for printing or scanning.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fuji nps 160 when it was available new was great for colorful street scenes with nice vibrant blues and greens,wonderful for graffitti.I would use it for something like that in its current state and not for portraits as the skin tones will be off-take it to the circus!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Run it through your camera Ted and be surprised. I suspect it will have a colour shift, but nothing worse than what you'd get cross-processing.
    If if the colour was dud, it is valuable learning experience to understand how film does change over time in less than optimum storage e.g. refrigerator / deep freeze. In my Olympus XA I have a roll of NPS 160 that expired in November 2007, same as the roll before it. Nothing I would be concerned about other than to note the colours are not as Vaudeville as Velvia!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a lot of expired NPS (35mm) that was allegedly cold stored. The colors have not shifted (probably because cold stored) but it has lost a lot of speed. Bracket the exposures. You may find its effective speed is 80 ASA or lower. Also the stuff I have is quite a bit grainier than say Pro S (probably because speed loss affects the smaller grains more). Mine is still very usable but definitely not as good as it would have been when fresh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    don't expect it to look like it was brand new and fridge stored ..
    you can shoot it at half speed and process it in b/w developer, it will
    give you smooth black and white tones and be very nice ..
    better yet, send it to me, and i'll do that

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it was me Ted I wouldn't spend £15 on getting a film that old processed, I'd save it to test your cameras film transport mechanism with it if you ever suspect it's faulty.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I have pletny of other lovelly fresh (and refrigerated) film such as Fuji Provia 100 and Acros so I don't need it just yet. I might keep it for a throw away day of something none-important.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have some old Fuji NPS160 that I keep shooting periodically. I forget how out of date mine is (I think some of it goes back to 2005, or maybe even older), and it has been fairly stable, despite not being cold stored. I wouldn't use it for anything color-critical, but I wouldn't worry too much about it either.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin