Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,541   Posts: 1,572,772   Online: 904

Shooter
    35mm

Help: Spots on My Negitives

Hello,

I've now processed two rolls of film using the Tetenal C-41 press kit. Each time I've gotten white streaks / spots on my negatives, which are removable with some alcohol and a micro fiber cloth.

I'm following the directions and washing the film with the stabilizer on the final step. They don't look like water spots, but some type of chemical left over from development.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    ChrisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	54909

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe use a final rinse using Photoflo?
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought about that, but read somewhere that the stablizer was already a wetting agent. I'm tempted to do a final rinse with distilled water and/or photoflo. Will this have any effect on the negatives? My gut says now, as if I can clean them with alcohol then I should be able to use a wetting agent or water in the end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wet first and then use the alcohol cleaner if needed. It's residue from your wetting agent/photo flo/etc., I'd wash, dry and when it's 95% dry, use a very soft negative wipe to clean if you need to. Or just master the art of washing film properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As it is C-41, you need to be sure that the stabilizer is the final step, and that it stays on the film after it dries.

Otherwise, it will be vulnerable to damage over time.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ccvalentino View Post
    I'm following the directions and washing the film with the stabilizer on the final step.Click image for larger version. 

Don't know what you mean by this statement. The film is already washed and needs to sit in the stabilizer bath for the recommended length of time. The stabilizer bath must be the last step in the process and the film dried after it. The film should not be wet aftyer the stabilizer bath.

For your problem use a soft lint free cloth moistened with 70% isopropyl alcohol and gently wipe the base (non-emulsion side) of the film to remove any residue. In the future use a soft sponge moistened with water and squeezed as dry as possible to wipe off any stabilizer on the film before drying.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Don't know what you mean by this statement. The film is already washed and needs to sit in the stabilizer bath for the recommended length of time. The stabilizer bath must be the last step in the process and the film dried after it. The film should not be wet aftyer the stabilizer bath.

For your problem use a soft lint free cloth moistened with 70% isopropyl alcohol and gently wipe the base (non-emulsion side) of the film to remove any residue. In the future use a soft sponge moistened with water and squeezed as dry as possible to wipe off any stabilizer on the film before drying.
    Ok, I'll give this a try on the next run.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ccvalentino View Post
    Hello,

I've now processed two rolls of film using the Tetenal C-41 press kit. Each time I've gotten white streaks / spots on my negatives, which are removable with some alcohol and a micro fiber cloth.

I'm following the directions and washing the film with the stabilizer on the final step. They don't look like water spots, but some type of chemical left over from development.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    ChrisClick image for larger version. 

Perhaps you should try mixing your stabilizer using distilled or demineralized water. The last step in the process is the stabilizer, after that you hang it up to dry, so if you mix it with tap water that contains too many minerals, it will dry leaving the minerals on the film. A lot of guys who do B&W find that when photo-flo is the last step, this really helps.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I mixed the stabilizer with distiller water in attempt to prevent this.

Shooter
    35mm
    I put photoflo in my stabilizer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin