Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,237   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Problem with developing technique?

Often when I print or scan my negatives which I have developed myself, the edges of the picture nearest to the sprocket holes appear lighter in the print than the rest of the image. At first I thought this might be a problem with some out-of-date film stocks, but I am noticing it happen also with fresh stock. Also b&w as well as color. Any ideas what this could be attributable to? I was wondering if over-agitation while developing could do it. The sprocket holes themselves are clear so it seems to a darkening only of part of the image area. I use a plastic tank and wonder if stainless would be better. I agitate by rotating the spiral via the stick thingy that goes into the center. Typically for C-41 I have been agitating by turning the spiral slowly but more or less continuously.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    35mm
    Not over agitation but uneven agitation and development. Rotational agitation went out with the arc (except in processors such as a JOBO. You don't say what make of tank you are using or what developer. If it is one that is completely watertight then inversion agitation is the way to go.

This involves turning the tank upside down several times. For instance a normal fine grain developer needs 10 inversions at the start of the processing time and then left until the next minute is up then a further 5 inversions every minute after that until the end of the development time.

If you are using something like Rodinal this requires 30 seconds inversion agitation at the start of the time, then one inversion every 30 seconds.

Give us some more information and we may be able to help more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Constnatly turning the reel causes developer to flow through the sprocket holes causing more development around them. Donate your tank to a museum and get a SS Nikor or similar tank and reel. Agitation is by inverting the tank with a swirling motion. Agitate continuously for the first minute. Wait 60 seconds and then agitate 4-5 times at the beginning of each minute thereafter. Each inversion should take about 2 seconds.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently got a plastic tank; it works fine, but the mfr. has included a stirrer and the claim that agitating by stirring is a really, really good way to get the job done.

It's strange how some mfrs. continued to push that harmful myth. You'd think they wouldn't urge users to employ a method which almost always gives inferior results.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think sometimes when writing instructions, some non mainstream manufacturers revert to the dark ages and use a pin to pick out instructions they think are the best. Notice I said 'think' rather than 'know'!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkasha View Post
    You'd think they wouldn't urge users to employ a method which almost always gives inferior results.
    How do you know it gives inferior results? How many rolls have you developed using this method.

Quoting other peoples' opinions as gospel is the road to hell.

I used an Ansco tank (with the thermometer handle for rotating the reel) for perhaps 20 years with no issues.

Also, rotation works just fine for Jobo, Beseler, Unicolor, Cibachrome, et al, with millions of rolls developed by users all over the world.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    How do you know it gives inferior results? How many rolls have you developed using this method.

Quoting other peoples' opinions as gospel is the road to hell.

I used an Ansco tank (with the thermometer handle for rotating the reel) for perhaps 20 years with no issues.

Also, rotation works just fine for Jobo, Beseler, Unicolor, Cibachrome, et al, with millions of rolls developed by users all over the world.

- Leigh

Ummm - how do I know? How about: By the number of times people who who use the swirling technique come here to report problems?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkasha View Post
    By the number of times people who who use the swirling technique come here to report problems?
    Your sample is heavily skewed to the negative side, and thus invalid.

People who use the technique successfully don't come here to gripe. They take pictures.

As I asked before (and you avoided): How many rolls have you developed using rotational agitation?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Your sample is heavily skewed to the negative side, and thus invalid.

People who use the technique successfully don't come here to gripe. They take pictures.

As I asked before (and you avoided): How many rolls have you developed using rotational agitation?

- Leigh

Really? It seems it's you who expects others to give YOUR opinion a great deal of weight - based on what, exactly?

And to answer you: NONE. Know why? Because before I started, I asked around, and got a whole lot of people telling me not to use it. I guess that's what counts for bias in your opinion.

Fine, we're all biased - but I've had not one of those of problems.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Umm.....OK my plastic tank has a cap so I assume it can be inverted. However, it holds two reels. If I am developing only one film, can I leave the top reel empty, use only enough chemistry for the one reel, and still do inversion? would air in the tank cause any problems?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin