Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,035   Online: 1131

Shooter
    35mm

Hiding dust marks on prints

If we are printing from negatives or transparencies in a darkroom we will at some time get dust spots or hair, no matter how careful we are making sure that the negative is blemish free. Spotting inks are (in the UK) almost bank loan prices, but a good alternative for colour as well as monochrome is to use inks from an inkjet printer. They are water soluble and will do the task just as efficiently as those dyes sold especially for the purpose and at a mere fraction of the price..The colour variations possible are almost infinite.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I bought a set of these some years ago for some particularly difficult spotting. I found them to be entirely useless and went back to Spotone and brush.

I think the OP's suggestion to be interesting, although I'm not sure how you get the inks safely out of the cartridges.

Shooter
    35mm
    One of the refill kits would do the job I think? The sort where you get tiny little bottles of ink and a syringe for the actual re-filling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I bought a set of these some years ago for some particularly difficult spotting. I found them to be entirely useless and went back to Spotone and brush.

I think the OP's suggestion to be interesting, although I'm not sure how you get the inks safely out of the cartridges.
    Which just shows that YMM indeed V.

I find Spotone pens to be great - far easier to use (for me) than a brush.

Maybe it is because I am left handed.

With respect to the OP's suggestion, I would expect that some of the inkjet inks would work better than others. Inks designed to be used with baryta coated papers would probably be ones to consider.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    If we are printing from negatives or transparencies in a darkroom we will at some time get dust spots or hair, no matter how careful we are making sure that the negative is blemish free. Spotting inks are (in the UK) almost bank loan prices, but a good alternative for colour as well as monochrome is to use inks from an inkjet printer. They are water soluble and will do the task just as efficiently as those dyes sold especially for the purpose and at a mere fraction of the price..The colour variations possible are almost infinite.
    Many of those inks though, are extremely toxic.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use the Peerless watercolor sheets and a spotting brush. $13 and they last forever.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompleteEdition.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	55152
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin