Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,505   Online: 904

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide Shows

Shooter
    35mm

Slide Shows

A couple weeks ago I went to my grandmother's house (she is 85) and had a slide show of a trip that she, my mom, and I took back in 1995. Didn't get through all the slides (showed about 200, there are about 50 left to show), but Grandma, Mom, and I had a great time. So did the rest of the family that showed up.

My son wants to take some of his slides to show next time we go. Should be a real good time, and we'll even break out the popcorn.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    This thread might give me flashbacks to sitting in somebody's family room watching their bad vacation slides! LOL But really, I hadn't done slides in years and recently got interested in using slide film and learning to mount my own slides.

One advantage now is being able to scan and print etc., basically it seems easy enough to go back and forth between various formats so it can give you more options than we used to have.

Popcorn is always good, and so is fun with family and friends.
    Sharon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's something my kids and I love to do on cold winter nights. They shoot all summer then we all meet at the old homestead for sledding, hot cocoa, and a slide show.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We always got to see the new roll when it came in the mail and got to pick out something old as well. I miss those!
    The last slide show I watched with family was a bunch of the slides I took on a trip to the UK in 2002.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went through all my slides just recently, projecting the odd one as i went along. I forgot how charming they look up on the big screen projected. Keeping my peace of mind in sticking with reversal film.

I'm determined now to shoot as much slide film as i possible can... seeing the brillance of a projected slide once more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Speaking of slide shows. What experience does anybody with scanning slides into photoshop?
    I have about three thousand slides from the last fifty five years and would like to scan them to photoshop and then make slilde show cd's.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003 View Post
    Speaking of slide shows. What experience does anybody with scanning slides into photoshop?
    I have about three thousand slides from the last fifty five years and would like to scan them to photoshop and then make slilde show cd's.
    It will take about 2 minutes a slide, you need to get the slide, clean it, put it in the scanner, clean it again, do a low grade scan, correct, do a good scan, save the file, then move to the next, at 3,000 slides, your looking at 6,000 minutes or 100 hours of scanning....... I can't really think of something more torturous then spending 100 hours scanning....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    At 1 hour/day for 100 days (assuming you also scan on weekends) you'd be through all three thousand slides in under 4 months. Just make sure you have a scanner with digital ice, and if you're scanning kodachromes make sure your scanner's digital ice can handle kodachrome as one of the dyes can absorb infrared and that introduces all sorts of artifacts. If you didn't buy a scanner with digital ice, well, then it'll take you a lot longer because you'll have to spot all the photos yourself to get any dust off that your cleaning didn't get.

That's assuming, of course, that taking the slide out of the tray, cleaning it twice, scanning it twice (once at low-res, once at high-res) plus color correction can be done in two minutes or less. In my experience it takes a bit longer.

Besides, the best way to look at slides is in a slide projector. There's nothing that looks quite like a projected slide, and used projectors are dirt cheap these days!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is absolutely nothing to compare with a good slide. Digital projected images I find are either unsharp or lack colour saturation. Give me a good Velvia slide any day - now that is pure quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003 View Post
    You may want to look for someone who supplies a service like this: http://photoexpert.com/slidescanning.html

These people do quite good quality prints from digital files on to RA4 paper. I haven't seen the results of their scanning services though.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin