Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,162   Online: 987

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is in the color film section, so you basically have two options, Portra 400 or Fuji 400H, in the pro section. You could also shoot slides and use Provia 400. There are Kodak 400 and Fuji 400 consumer color neg films still as well. That's five or six options for you.

I am not familiar with the Rollei offerings, but someone more knowledgeable about those can reply to that.

Color film market is definitely not as extensive as it used to be. I used to love shooting Kodak E200 slide film pushed to 400 (this film was made for shooting from 200 to 800).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gryffinwings View Post
    Crap, I forgot to mention that I want a color film, sorry for not putting that in earlier.
    No need to apologize. This is the color forum, answers should be based on that to avoid non-helpful answers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the film you want is the film that works best for you ... sorry, no way to answer better. Mary Ellen Mark used Tri-X for decades, and only tri-x, because it worked for her.

so you have to find one that comes close to your needs, then use it until you get good at it.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I forgot to mention in my above post that I recommend Portra 400. For some reason I was unable to edit the post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji 400 is good.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Portra 400 will do nicely. The Kodak consumer color films are also available in the 400 speed, and they are quite good. They are generally somewhat more saturated than Portra, but are similar in grain and latitude.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Portra 400
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    I like Arista EDU from Freestyle Photo.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Both Porta 400 and Fuji 400 colour negative pro films are absolutely excellent. There are some differences but maybe at this stage you should just pick one of them and use it until you get a feel for it. The consumer alternatives are also very good, pick one of them if price is an issue.

If you have any specific needs, such as better skin tones, accurate colour rendering, or perhaps exaggerated colours (can be nice for nature photography), please let us know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd also suggest looking into the Kodak Gold line. I think it may have been cancelled but it was decent stuff for consumer-class film. I fyou can find it you'll likely be pleased. Whatever you do, do not get sucked into the Kodak consumer ColorPlus product line -- pure trash.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin