Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,598   Online: 754

Shooter
    Multi Format

What protective spray/coating for color prints.

I am interested in spraying a protective coating on color prints. I would like to protect the print from moisture and finger prints or grease. I know that there were lacquer coating materials that were sprayed on color portraits and some incorporated a UV protectorate. I am more interested in protecting from moisture. If I need to get a spray booth I can work with that or if it can be coated with a brush all the better. Anyone have any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just Google UV protective print spray.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    I am interested in spraying a protective coating on color prints. I would like to protect the print from moisture and finger prints or grease. I know that there were lacquer coating materials that were sprayed on color portraits and some incorporated a UV protectorate. I am more interested in protecting from moisture. If I need to get a spray booth I can work with that or if it can be coated with a brush all the better. Anyone have any ideas?

Years back there was a good spray that I bought in gallon size and used a fine mist sprayer to protect the prints.

I have tried Krylon clear acrylic and it works good. Keep the can moving or it will build up a lot in one area. They make it in gloss and matt texture.

Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Renaissance Wax can be used on prints to protect the surface. it is used by conservators for just that so it meets the highest level of archival properties.
    Good Luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben, Before I posted I tried a Google search and the preponderance of hits were about ink jet/giclee prints and I wanted the experience of analog photographers so I inquired on APUG.

Once again, does anyone have recent experience with a protective coating on RA-4 color prints. I will be using this coating on small (8x8) prints that I will be presenting flush mounted in thin metal frames with out glass. I am looking to protect the print from moisture and other surface contaminates and to a certain degree scratches. I would like a coating that can easily be applied and that will retain the luster finish of the paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin