Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,413   Online: 958

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Mystery 70mm film from NASA - help

So I bought a 70mm back for my Mamiya off of eBay, when I got it there were two spools inside and the takeup spool still contained film. Now they reels could have been switched, but I contacted the seller who informed me it was from NASA as they were selling off old equipment.

I have NO idea what kind of film it is except that it's non-perforated even though the back is SUPPOSED to take perforated 70mm it's not really necessary as long as you can count since the frame counter relies on the perforations.

Anyway I've taken some snippets, developed one in B&W film and it came out spotty which made it look like it had dirt all over it, and then just did one in E-6 which produced what appears to be a correct (but blank) exposed film piece, basically clear pale pinkish-orange color.

My question is, if this fillm were say a C-41 film would it still come out looking like it had been processed correctly? Since the snippets I took were from the exposed film sticking out of the spool, I know it's already fully exposed, but I don't want to waste a good frame till I know for sure which process to use.

Any additional advice would be appreciated. Heck maybe I can find out that the moon landing was faked!

The pre processed film has a dark back with a grey-khaki colored emulsion side could almost be described as green military khaki color (like the tan-lighter green part of camouflage patterns).

After the first developer the film is completely dark grey.

After the color developer the film is the same color, dark grey.

After the Blix the film is translucent light orange-pink.

So is this indeed color reversal film? Or could it be other films?

The back is from the 80's so the film could be too. The only other 70mm film I've processed so far (all B&W types) have not had any markings to indicate the film type at all. So the film may not have markings even when properly processed...

I've tried to be as thorough as possible.

Help!

Thanks! ~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is that it is a transparency film. The FD and CD results to me indicate it is likely heavily heat (or maybe even radiation) fogged.

I also think that somehow the fogged film after reversal gives some dye couplers from the CD action to form the final colour cast.

C-41 I have never seen without the strong orange base mask. C-22 had an even stronger tinted mask, in my opinion.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Moon landing recorded on Ektachrome 64. There is a database about all missions and selection from the shots at NASA.
    If I am not wrong 70 mm film was AS14. Someone opened a similar thread and I found 70mm AS14 Film at database at nasa.gov. I made a idea , AS was apollo space mission but Its only a idea. Photo Engineer worked at NASA and Kodak from early 60s and he has the answer . PM him.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mustafa,

Do you know the username of this NASA engineer to PM him? Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mike,

After further comparison With the only color film I have available that is processed (Kodak Ektar) the mystery film was much more peach in color than the Ektar which was more orange, also the mystery film seeme clouded/milky (only slightly) compared to the Ektar, might just be age but also could be an effect of the wrong process, just more info, I've never seen c-22.

I've been shooting for over 15 years bud always had my film pro-processed so I'm a but new to this game with lack of info.

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    My guess is that it is a transparency film. The FD and CD results to me indicate it is likely heavily heat (or maybe even radiation) fogged.

I also think that somehow the fogged film after reversal gives some dye couplers from the CD action to form the final colour cast.

C-41 I have never seen without the strong orange base mask. C-22 had an even stronger tinted mask, in my opinion.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Mustafa!

Do you happen to have a website link to the NASA database?

And as I asked before do you have the username of the NASA engineer I can contact/PM?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Moon landing recorded on Ektachrome 64. There is a database about all missions and selection from the shots at NASA.
    If I am not wrong 70 mm film was AS14. Someone opened a similar thread and I found 70mm AS14 Film at database at nasa.gov. I made a idea , AS was apollo space mission but Its only a idea. Photo Engineer worked at NASA and Kodak from early 60s and he has the answer . PM him.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am sorry for late reply , He is called Photo Engineer and you can send a pm with writing only these words to the adress at private message.

Click on notifications at top right side of the pages and you would see at left New Message button. When filling the adress , robot would help you to find the correct address. You will see.

May be I am wrong but his name is Ron Mowrey and he published a book and dvd on emulsion making. He is coauthor of Kodachrome patent.

NASA site - pictures- is not responding , search at mission pictures as14 nasa at google.

Have fun ,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it came from NASA, it most likely is either Kodak or Agfa film. Let's assume Kodak. It could be either aerial film (very likely for 70mm) or cine film or ordinary still film. Since it came with that back and is unperforated, it is unlikely to be cine film. It could be either negative or positive. Many Kodak negative aerial films did not have an integral orange mask, but they were compatible with C-41 processing. My guess is that it is aerial film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like aerial film to me.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    all of the cross processing I've done with C-41 films that were processed in E-6 chemistry came out green with no hint of orange/peach at all... So is it possible this is slide film? Or does arographic film behave differently?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin