Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,572   Online: 784

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

buying expired film

i have never bought any film past its expiration date. I have read lots of things that as long as it was frozen or refrigerated, you should be ok if its only a few years past. I am looking at some film on Craigslist and just wanted to get an idea if it should be ok.

Fuji Provia 100F 36 exp., color transparency film. . .19 rolls, always frozen, exp date 2006; 20 rolls, always refrigerated, exp date 2006

thoughts?

thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm using Tmax 100 expired in 1996 that has always been frozen,and I cannot tell the difference between it and a batch that expired in 2010-also frozen.I've got Provia 100f 220 rolls that are frozen and expired in 2004-perfect as well.The key is frozen-you've got to be sure that they are/were frozen.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I second that, if you buy from a guy that shot film and he tells you it was frozen, film is going to be ok, if the photographer passed away, and it is his family getting rid of film, more likely than not they pulled all of the film out to have more room in the freezer.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the film has been consistently stored at low temperature from release to beyond expiry, it will be fine. If stored long-term in a deep freeze will also be fine, but two observations are noteworthy from experience: film may become embrittled (especially thin emulsions) after several years deep frozen storage. Secondly, even after satisfactory thawing, the film may develop sticky spots. These sticky spots can actually damage the emulsion. Cameras with high torque motor drives can potentially damage film that is sticking.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not extrapolate B&W to color film keeping.

Color films contain so many extra chemicals that keeping belongs in a different ballpark than anything else.

Wait until you have some responses with the film in question before you decide.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    The best buy is film sold by a film retailer which is only a few months from its expiry date so nearly expired film.

Film sold by individuals which is way beyond its expiry date is a gamble unless you can be sure of the seller. Just make sure that the reduction in price is substantial and buy stuff which is only a short time beyond expiry.

If the film has become less than perfect and remember, you can only find out after you have taken the maybe irreplaceable shots then even a free film may be expensive. If the saving is a matter of only a few pennies/cents then it is not worth the risk. Film is probably the least expensive part of analogue photography

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with pentaxuser. Why risk ruining a great shot because of bad film? There are enough challenges you have to deal with in developing, printing, exposure calculations, etc. Why add one more? And what are you going to do with the remaining expired film if you don't like the first roll?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Color? Never.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well, the cost has been factored in $1.50 per roll which is cheap. if the guy was local i wold buy a roll or two, shoot it and get more if it came out ok. but there is 40+ miles between us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I agree with pentaxuser. Why risk ruining a great shot because of bad film? There are enough challenges you have to deal with in developing, printing, exposure calculations, etc. Why add one more? And what are you going to do with the remaining expired film if you don't like the first roll?
    Ditto. My photographs and my time are both valuable. I only buy film from stores or trusted sellers.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin