Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,619   Online: 987

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK, I got it. The 35mm users are mostly Leica guys, and they will pay anything! Actually, I think it might have to do with metal cannister, more shots per roll, and more steps to make a 35mm rather than a 120.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not think that its the canister as very low priced B&W and C41 films are available using the same 35mm packaging. Ilford 3 roll 35mm 36 exp packs for about $10, and Fuji 200 print film in 4 roll packs at Walmart for around $7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the the cost of the cassette is a red herring, to, quote an old saying "it's the profit that makes it dear", especially since Fuji now has the virtual monopoly now that Kodak ceased manufacturing E6 films retailers can charge pretty much what the market can stand .
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-21-2012 at 03:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You see prices fluctuating? That's your retailer experimenting to determine price elasticity and what point on the price/demand curve gives them greatest overall profit.
    Yeah, I was taught that nonsense in B-School. Then I got some real-world experience.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismayed View Post
    Yeah, I was taught that nonsense in B-School. Then I got some real-world experience.
    You got a better way for them to decide on their pricing in the "real world"? How are they meant to know what's optimum for them without a little experimentation?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismayed View Post
    I can see a small retailer, doing this, you add say 50¢ to the price of a roll, if sales stay the same then you add another 50¢ if sales fall, you go back to the old price.....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You got a better way for them to decide on their pricing in the "real world"? How are they meant to know what's optimum for them without a little experimentation?
    Game theory. Tit for tat is the best approach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I checked a few US catalogs, and I didn't find a similar price differential. 35mm professional color film, both negative and transparency, was about $1.50 more than 120. 220 was more than twice the price of 120, however, There could be several reasons for the difference in price. What the market will bear seems most likely. Inventory costs (related to demand) are another possibility. 35mm is probably a bit more expensive to make and market, but not that much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We have no choice we have to either pay the market price for Fuji pro films if we wish to use them, or do without it, the reasons for the pricing structure for the consumer are academic, because there's nothing we can do about it but bite the bullet.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    A single shop is not a good gauge of price levels. If they feel they have too much of a certain product they will lower price on it for fear of overstocking.

In general I wouldn't be surprised if Fuji tried to sell dearer their slide film, considering that it is sold cheaper as Agfaphoto. It would be a very normal case of brand-price segmenting, when you sell two almost equal goods with small differences, brand them differently, and "target" them to two different market segments. It is done all the time, from cars to chocolate, so it would be conceivable that it is done also for slide film.

Maybe Fujifilm is licensing the Agfaphoto brand to operate this market segmentation; or maybe Agfaphoto has a deal with Fujifilm, Agfaphoto buys at least X quantity of film but Fujifilm moves the price of its own products a step higher, etc.

The same fine tea cookies which are sold in a luxury packaging are sold by the kg at a much lower price...
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin