Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,910   Online: 863

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    My personal attempt somewhere attached to this message.

I would be very wary in judging a film when there are so many variables involved:
    - developing;
    - filtering;
    - scanning;
    - monitor calibration differences;

I also see a greenish cast in the picture as posted by the original poster. A little bit of this greenish cast on the parapet is probably due to the greenish reflection of the pond, so I did not eliminate it completely so as to avoid a magentaish cast emerging.

The sRGB colour space is in any case inadequate to render the amplitude of the palette of a colour film.

The scanning sacrifices highlights and shadows, burning the former, blocking the latter. It should be very easy for a scanner to capture the entire dynamic range of a negative colour shot. The contrast is then recreated by applying gamma curves while keeping the extremes safe. This looks like the scan of a slide (and that can be improved as well).

The colours seem to be fine although, not being there, I cannot judge on the rendition of the correct hue of the flowers. I don't see any colour problem besides the difficulty in filtering which is somehow intrinsic in the use of negative colour film unless a proper colour-managed workflow is adopted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7806865644_0cbc76cf21_b.jpg  
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 08-20-2012 at 06:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It ma depend on where you live.

I find Reala not to my liking in Southern California and Nevada light. It comes out dull and lifeless.
    To your point you may not like Reala but it seems we had a similar discussion about poor results from Kodak Ektar and the reason came down to the lowest common denominator - poor scanning and/or post.

Here is a common flower found everywhere in So Cal. This one I took outside LAX.

Last edited by Les Sarile; 08-20-2012 at 09:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I don't recall saying anything against Ektar. I love that film.

I have said that Portra strikes me as too pastel. I do like Portra much more than Reala. That is just my opinion. Only presented to show that not everyone loves Reala.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    How are you evaluating your results - from optical made prints or scans?

Shooter
    127 Format
    There is no such thing as optical color prints anymore.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whaaaaaattt?

There most certainly are.

You don't get them as 4x5 or so proofs from commercial processing (most places, don't know if that's true of ALL) but they certainly exist. You can make them yourself and there are still labs will make them for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are at my house.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    127 Format
    Evaluation must be done in the reality of the environment.

Sure, 100 people out of hundreds of millions print optical color at home. Or a handful of labs that will charge $20 for a single print.

The reality is optical prints don't exist for real life purposes. There are no new processing systems for optical prints. Even the paper now is designed for digital printing from scans.

We are lucky just to have places to get C-41 developed.

And of course anything seen or shared on this forum or any other is not a live optical print.

I wish optical color prints were still the norm.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is still simply wrong. Not one in at least thousands of people print silver gelatin black and white at home either. Does that mean it doesn't "exist for practical purposes?" You use the little scanned ones for proofs. For display prints you either get those labs to make good optical prints for you (for which $20 is a bargain - I wouldn't make one for you for that, but even when I printed color frequently I did it a few times a month and without a roller transport processor, so if I was that in practice and had the processor to make that very easy and quick, I'd probably do it for the twenty bucks) or you make them yourself. Either way, they certainly exist.

Shooter
    35mm
    Where I live it's more practical to optically print colour than to go to a lab. And cheaper!
    Steve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin