Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,114   Online: 842

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Reala, unimpressive colors?

I just got back from the lab my first roll of Reala. I was less than impressed with the results and I'm wondering if it is a lab issue or I just am not meant for Reala.

Would you expect better?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7806865644_0cbc76cf21_b.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks good to me, natural and lifelike.

By 'better' do you mean more saturated? If so, there are plenty of less natural, more saturated films on the market...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I just got back from the lab my first roll of Reala. I was less than impressed with the results and I'm wondering if it is a lab issue or I just am not meant for Reala.

Would you expect better?

It looks fine to me but does have a bit of a cyan/green cast.. Here's a colour balanced shot how I would expect to see that scene

http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static...cf21_b-ref.jpg

The scan or print isn't particularly great - highlights are blown. Here's a frame from a colleague that I scanned recently - 135mm taken on a £20 Minolta SLR

http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/tmp/don2.jpg

It's a progressive jpg so it'll gradually get better resolution in three iterations. (i.e. it will look awful quickly, slowly OK, finally it'll look pretty good)

Tim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I saw many highly successful Reala shots when I was researching toy panaromic cameras. This is highly desaturated , low contrast and looks foggy image. Film processing completely died here , whatever camera , whichever film you use , you got terrible negatives. I am working with them with % 90 loss expectation.
    If they continue to process your films like it , dont bother , buy a good digital camera . Or switch to bw but China is colorful and you dont want to lose it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I saw many highly successful Reala shots when I was researching toy panaromic cameras. This is highly desaturated , low contrast and looks foggy image. Film processing completely died here , whatever camera , whichever film you use , you got terrible negatives. I am working with them with % 90 loss expectation.
    If they continue to process your films like it , dont bother , buy a good digital camera . Or switch to bw but China is colorful and you dont want to lose it.
    Thank you. I am going to try a different lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I normally view the first print as a proof rather than a final print especially if it comes from a lab I haven't used regularly.

Specific to this photo, I think it is probably just a color balance issue. It could be operator error or just the automated software.

Talk to the lab, tell them what disappointed you and have a new print made. Once they know what you want (and you have a good sample) they can probably get your prints much closer to what you want next time.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will almost never get prints from a mass production lab the way you want them. As said, they are just proofs. Back pre-digital, people who were fed up with the labs inability to get things right on color negative film would shoot slide film. No room for the labs to screw that up because they didn't print it.

Now, your options are to scan your negatives yourself, have a color darkroom, or work with a someone of skill at a lab to get the colors right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To my eyes, this is not a great successful processed Reala, i can say this is just good or so so, i have shoot Reala and it is my top favorite color neg, so i am sure this shot or even the roll went wrong somewhere, try another lab and shoot another roll and give it a look.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My father (and many others) used to use Reala for weddings due to its ability to render skin tones correctly whilst keeping wedding dresses white.

I think it's more of a case of Reala being the wrong film for your purpose rather than a problem with it or the processing.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 08-18-2012 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    My father (and many others) used to use Reala for weddings due to its ability to render skin tones correctly whilst keeping wedding dresses white.

I think it's more of a case of Reala being the wrong film for your purpose rather than a problem with it or the processing.

Steve.
    Generally agree, but also agree with the folks who say this print isn't that great. The automated machines tend to not correct density as much as I would when printing, so an overexposed color negative, which can easily make a great print, will come out desaturated and too light. I bet this can be printed much better.

If you want a lot more saturation for flowers, grass etc. try Ektar 100.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin