In my eternal quest to increase throughput in my home C41 or E-6 development, I am bent on perfecting my skill to splice two 120 rolls together to fit on one Paterson plastic spool. I am here to ask you gurus here about what techniques or tricks you use to do that.
I am interested only in the plastic reels that fit Paterson type tank. I personally use those Arista types with wide mouths. I know of Jobo reels that allow two 120s. But they don't work for me. I have found that fitting 2 220s or 4 120s in the Paterson tank that takes 1 liter of soup works best for my throughput. I have searched and I did not find any Jobo drum that takes 4 120s using 1 liter of soup by inversion method. Correct me if I am wrong.
Previously I have tried using the tape at the end of one film to splice two together. Not much success with that after repeated tries as the curl of the film makes it hard to align the ends together while I am groping inside the changing bag.
Rolling up one film all the way to the end of the reel and then fitting the second one in was a disaster for me. The films overlapped and the development was a fiasco.
Last night for the first time I was successful fitting two 120s in one spool by stapling the ends in the middle (width-wise). There was a slight jump and hiccup when the spliced end was going in the roll and I started thinking uh oh. But once the spliced end started moving inside the feeding mouth, everything seemed ok and at the end both rolls fit in fine . The C41 development finished ok as well. Nothing came apart. However, there was a spot where the developer couldn't get in. I am assuming the joint had buckled and touched the next layer in the spiral. I checked the spliced end. It looked pretty darn good except a tiny bit of mismatch width-wise.
I think practice will make it perfect. But I am all ears for any other tricks or gizmos that you use to keep the end of the 120 rolls aligned and joined when splicing.