Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,372   Online: 775

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't wait 'til October. There's a branch of a chain of Camera stores (Creve Coeur Camera) opening up in the city where I work. About $9 for a 35mm roll of Provia 100F (costs between $6-7+shipping from NYC, which is still cheaper if I order 5 rolls), and a decent selection of Ilford/Kodak B&W too. Sure it's cheaper to order it online but I'll now have the ability to get it locally for not much more $$, and that's really nice.

Add to that I can get the film developed through them for $9.90+tax/roll (as opposed to $6.88+tax at Wal-Mart), which again, isn't a lot more than I am paying now for processing (they will be sending it to their St. Louis store via courier). The camera store in Bloomington wants $14 to develop a roll of E-6, and it's even more expensive in Peoria.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Some companies arre selling a 're-born' Agfa Precisia' slide film. Openly declared as made in Japan and 'similar' to the discontinued Fuji Sensia. I have seen it with UK companies AG Photographic and Mailshots around £4 a cassette

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Shooting 35mm and 120 cost me about the same for the same time in the field. 120 film is less expensive per roll, more per shot, and I take fewer shots, plus I still finish a roll in a reasonable time instead of having three cameras loaded with three different films for several weeks until I shoot again. 4x5 actually costs me considerably LESS to shoot. On a good day I might go out for a few hours and expose 4-6 sheets, and that includes doing two of anything that really strikes me on the ground glass (some dust insurance, though I'm as careful as I can be given my circumstances) and, occasionally if light is tricky, a couple of shots at different exposures. You can also shoot more than one at the same exposure, develop the first and evaluate it then determine if you need plus or minus development of the other one, if you're unsure. Still comes out cheaper, it's so much slower and more contemplative.

I'd suggest, for those changing films away from a favorite because of cost, a different approach. There used to be a saying (I first read this in the 70s) "film is the cheapest thing in photography." Well it wasn't true then and it isn't true now. The cheapest thing in photography is a look through the viewfinder or at the ground glass. Slow down and take fewer shots and make them count. Just because you've focused and composed, or even waited for a moving subject to hit a certain point or whatever, doesn't mean you have to release the shutter. Go out with the intention of shooting no more than some arbitrary but small number of frames, maybe five or three or even just one, and try to make those count. With practice your film costs will go down and your photographs will improve.

This is one of the big reasons that getting into large format has improved all my photography including 35mm.
    The only problem with being more careful with the amount you shoot is that many more films will fall below the point where producing the stuff in vast master rolls makes economic sense with a perishable product. What the film industry really needs is the ability to manufacture film in smaller batches, so that the plant doesn't have to store vast amounts, that may never sell before it expires.

What I would like to see companies like Kodak do, is to make the formulas for retired emulsions like Kodachrome (and the K14 chemicals) available under a creative commons licence, so that if someone figures out how to make it in small batches, they can.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    the agfa precisa ct is a great film especially in australia where a roll costs $7.70 while a roll of velvia 50 is around $32.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and it could only get worse, with kodak trying to sell all of its film business..

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kodak-...212342730.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Next paycheck, I know what I'm buying: Kodak E100G and E100VS before they are totally gone.

I recently did a test of E100G and Ektar. While both are 100 speed films, here's the most important thing I noticed: the E6 film can really seperate out the scene with its smaller dynamic range. There's many instances where I like that, so a negative film just won't do.

E100VS
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E100VS-Test-004m.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	55941

Ektar 100
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ektar100-Test-006m1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	55942

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I just dropped off a roll of E6 for processing ($15.85) and "presentation" scans for $16. Balance due: $34.88

Shooting film is not supposed to make you feel so bad. LOL.
    Good grief. I pay $8.95/roll (36x) at Dwayne's. Postage adds to that but if you do four rolls at a time it totals $6 and adds $1.25 per roll.

I used to get scans but have been increasingly unhappy with their scans. I need a film scanner. No problems with their processing, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian, thanks for posting these. THIS is why I prefer transparency films... You just cannot get the same results from negative film - both types make great photos and there are individual preferences, but slide film is distinctly different from negative film.

( As they say: you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And yes, silk is more expensive than bacon )
    Last edited by mhanc; 08-24-2012 at 06:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Some companies arre selling a 're-born' Agfa Precisia' slide film. Openly declared as made in Japan and 'similar' to the discontinued Fuji Sensia. I have seen it with UK companies AG Photographic and Mailshots around £4 a cassette

I've noticed the more reasonable prices for Agfa Precisa, but so far as I'm aware it's only available in 35mm format, and I shoot an equal amount of 120 alongside 35mm. I've not so far tried it in 35mm, so how it compares with Ektar colour neg I don't yet know, but I might try a few cassettes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Good grief. I pay $8.95/roll (36x) at Dwayne's. Postage adds to that but if you do four rolls at a time it totals $6 and adds $1.25 per roll.

I used to get scans but have been increasingly unhappy with their scans. I need a film scanner. No problems with their processing, though.
    I usually mail order out to North Coast Photo, but with only one roll.....I probably could have Fed Exed it out there and the cost would've been the same. Gamma Imaging in Chicago does a good job though. The only E6 lab around Chicago I would trust anymore.

Roger - I have found scanning transparency film at home to be a real nightmare. No fun at all. Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin