Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,005   Online: 771

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I posted a single roll of Fuji 35mm transparency film in the process paid mailer earlier this week and it cost £2.70 owing to a film canister being more than 25mm thick. That £2.70 would buy me up to 750g, even though a packaged 35mm film is only IIRC about 35g. I guess if I was brave I'd have sent the film without the canister, when it would have been under 25mm and therefore only 90p!
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is not a whole lot of demand for transparency films these days. Most people have gone negative . That means less supply as well, and the few suppliers feel they can raise prices to those who demand this kind of film. To some extent, that has happened to film generally. But transparency film has some unique qualities that are particularly valuable to those who know how to use them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    I posted a single roll of Fuji 35mm transparency film in the process paid mailer earlier this week and it cost £2.70 owing to a film canister being more than 25mm thick. That £2.70 would buy me up to 750g, even though a packaged 35mm film is only IIRC about 35g. I guess if I was brave I'd have sent the film without the canister, when it would have been under 25mm and therefore only 90p!
    Steve
    Send 4 rolls at a time, ends up being just under 68p each
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Steve
    I never send mine in the canisters or "film cans" as I always called them. Even 129 I just drop the rolls in a padded mailer. Never any problems, yet anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    With 35mm Velvia now costing around £9 a roll, I've virtually abandoned using it in favour of 100asa Ektar costing around £3.80-£4.00 for a 35mm roll. The 120 size is also reasonably priced compared to tranny film. With the greatly improved colour neg emulsions now available, have many other pros or semi-pros made a similar move into colour neg. film? If so which one do you favour.

Also have buyers such as stock libraries noticed any difference in quality of submitted images?...The ones I supply don't seem bothered by the switch, so long as the scans are OK. The overall contrast is usually lower on neg., but on bright sunny days that can be an advantage.

If there is steady drift from tranny to neg., then what future is there for Velvia or Provia at their current sky high prices?
    That option isn't available to me I'll just have to pay the price, I shoot lots of 120 and 35mm Fuji Provia and Velvia that I project onto a 50"X50" screen, how do I do that with Ektar ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I never send mine in the canisters or "film cans" as I always called them. Even 129 I just drop the rolls in a padded mailer. Never any problems, yet anyway.
    Er, typo for "even 120."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeh i'm starting to think that the amazon gift cards i bought for x-mas gifts are gonna be spent to buy velvia before the 5 packs hit $40 each.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei do a decent slide film (it's called Digibase I think) that costs £3.50 a roll. I'm trying it out at the moment whilst I look for something to replace Elitechrome, which some fool's gone and discontinued .

Shooter
    Multi Format

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Send 4 rolls at a time, ends up being just under 68p each
    Fine if you've got four rolls to send, but whilst that's often the case this time of the year my transparency use in the winter months (September to June in UK!) falls off a lot and I'd be waiting a long time to accumulate four rolls.
    Steve

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin