Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,192   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Thanks. I've been having lots of slowness and weird stuff on my computer today. I'm rebooting now.
    Oh... now I know why everyone can see it but I can"t: Blocked site - Your system policy has denied access to the requested URL.

I'll have to look from home at a later time. But I think Ian just said what I was thinking (after imagining the picture in my mind's eye)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just find her arm (behind) to look rather awkward, almost disjointed. No offense intended, of course...

And fill, most definitely, would be a benefit here..
    --------------------------------

APS, 35mm, 120, 4x5 and a Deardorff & Sons 4x5 Special under restoration.

I don't care the format, as long as it's film!

Flickr Pages - Here

Blogs - Here and Here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, now I see it. Incident light reading, or even better...fill flash!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There seems to be plenty of detail in the hair, your zone III, so I think your metering is working technically as it should. That suggests to me that the 160 rating is just fine.

This is a place and fall issue. "Placing" the hair in Zone III is more likely the issue. I think the root problem here is that the hair and the face simply aren't 3 zones apart.

For any photo where a face is important I peg the face to the proper zone above all else.

The other possibility is that this has just been printed to dark.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Ah, now I see it. Incident light reading, or even better...fill flash!
    +1 on the incident meter.

Fill flash would be good too or a larger or second reflector.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with inan c -- the metering is fine, but the subject is just too dark in front and trying to compensate just by exposure is going to make it harder to get the rest correct. Either a teensy fill flash, or just a reflector of some sort, someone next to you holding a big sheet of white cardboard or foil-covered or something, anything to throw a bit of light on that very lovely lady.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks all for your info. I guess 160 iso for this film is fine. And yes, she in shade so she should be dark. The main error here is how i composed the shot with not enough difference in tone between my subject and the background. Exposing for longer would not change this relationship. So yet portrait falls down on not having enough light on the subject. I now have two reflectors, which will be an option for next time and i have a leaf shutter lens on the way so maybe a softbox also!

Thanks again all for the insights. am not sure i would have cracked it on my own.
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aren't you by chance using a Pentax 67?
    Suggest a back-to-basics metering strategy:
    Spot meter face (1: in this image the face is a critical fail as it is improperly illuminated), left arm (illumination side) (2) right arm (3), front of dress (4) forward bottom left grass (5), then average all. No spotting of spectrals in background or bright grass.

A flash should not be needed but can be usefully employed with spot metering and baseline-averaged fill-in flash with the softbox you spoke of.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This just looks like crappy scanning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This just looks like crappy scanning from someone more concerned about histograms than the subject in the photo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin