Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,419   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Printing without color correcting or exposure correcting

I have seen so many posts that people said that they requested the lab to print their color negatives without color correction or without exposure correction. I am wondering how could this be done?

Shooter
    35mm
    I think you have seen this for digital output, where people have worked on a file prior to sending it to be printed. It wouldn't make sense for printing a colour negative film.

Shooter
    35mm
    I meant printing from color negative films. Many people tried to put color filter on their lens and bracket exposure and request the lab to print without correction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Usually one frame has a colour chart shot under exactly the same light conditions, or another sheet of film. The lab, or whoever is doing the printing will correct colour and density for the frame/sheet with the colour chart, then print the other frames/sheets exactly the same.

Sometimes we used to be asked to not even change density, meaning if the neg is thin or dense, then the print will reflect the under or over exposure the photographer intended.

One used to see some quite interesting things, especially with regard to fashion shoots. The idea being that the wackiest frame was often chosen, then that C41 frame/sheet was copied to colour print film, which was a C41 process that was exposed under an enlarger but developed in C41 developer, with the end result being a transparency. Mostly these transparencies were used for four colour printing on printing presses, or magazine reproduction.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think it's a matter of definining the starting point. There are "corrections" that the machines apply automatically during the process of turning a negative into a positive.

In my case, when I had access to local labs, WalMart just ran the film and let the machine do it's thing, "no correction".

The other labs "corrected" things manually after the machine did it's thing.

I found that the machines were better at correcting than the local humans.

Sending off the film to pro-labs where you have a relationship is a different beast. In this situation the lab corrects to a standard that is mutually developed.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you both!
    Mick what you said made a lot of sense but most people don't send in a frame with a standard color target (color chart) and with standard exposure.
    Mark I think what you said is what those people want but that means automatic correction rather than not corrected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think what you are talking about is to "print per Shirley".

There is a standard target called Shirley. This is a standardized image/negative that includes all colors and brightness range. Supposedly, lab technician will calibrate his machines so that Shirley will print correctly - correct color and correct density and all that. You *could* ask to have your neg be printed per Shirley with no corrections.

I wouldn't be surprised though, unless you ask this at a pro lab, you get blank stares....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh yeah! Many years ago I used to use the Shirley to set up the Noritsu printer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Thank you both!
    Mick what you said made a lot of sense but most people don't send in a frame with a standard color target (color chart) and with standard exposure.
    Mark I think what you said is what those people want but that means automatic correction rather than not corrected.
    I have come to believe that there is no such thing as an uncorrected/unmanipulated photo.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    That's true Mark! I had a hard time telling these people that they can't have uncorrected print like a slide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin