Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,209   Online: 871

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    foc

Shooter
    35mm
    When I shot weddings on 35mm film, it was always Reala that I used. I never had a complaint from a bride regarding colours being off and I found it very fine grained. I had a 20x30 inch (50cm x 76cm) canvas print make from a 35mm neg and it looked great.

I did all my processing in my minilab and printed on Fuji optical printer and then later on Fuji Frontier. It was a film I always liked.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I'm totally convinced that 90% of the success of prints from color negative is down to the lab's standards and particularly the quality of the printing, rather than the actual brand of film used.
    I'm sure that there are no "bad" films from any of the main manufacturers,
    Totally agree. With color printfilm, the quality of the resulting print is mainly determined by the lab. There are no bad color negative film stocks from Kodak and Fuji. All are excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Porta's good, Reala's good. Right now I have Portra 400 in my Contax 159m and Reala in my Bronica RF645. Shooting the Tour de Fat in Fort Collins today. Film at 11.

Shooter
    127 Format
    All color photo films are great.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by foc View Post
    When I shot weddings on 35mm film, it was always Reala that I used. I never had a complaint from a bride regarding colours being off
    I have commented on this before. My father used to use Reala all the time for weddings as he said it was formulated to keep skin tones accurate whilst keeping wedding dresses white.

I'm not sure if it was actually formulated with this in mind but it did work.

I think the clue is in the name Reala - real colours, not the over-saturated colour which some films deliver.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Wow! 290 rolls!

I bought 30 rolls of 35mm Reala before it was cut and my wife is giving me grief
    I have no wife. And don't intend to.

I am going to get another freezer soon to store this Reala. Hoping to get 15 maybe 20 years out of it. I'm sure even with aging, it will still look better than the Chinese color film soon to come our way when Kodak and Fuji stop making color film.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I'm guessing you like Reala then.
    I honestly haven't used Reala per se that much (Instead it was Fuji 160, 400 and 800)

But ANYTHING is better than the new Kodak Ektar 100.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    I honestly haven't used Reala per se that much (Instead it was Fuji 160, 400 and 800)

But ANYTHING is better than the new Kodak Ektar 100.
    What is it that you do not like about Ektar?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 09-01-2012 at 11:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its all relative these days with digital post-processing. If I had economical access to a wet-printing color lab w/ quality enlargers and a RT paper processor, I'd love to wet print. But these days, with scanning and photoshop, the film is just a medium to transfer an image to a file. I've been a Kodak fanboy for a long time(well, since getting into photography 6 years ago when leaving high school), but Fuji looks to be the "game in town" if Kodak goes under... I've got my fingers crossed that an individual/consortium of lucrative means will purchase the consumer film division from Kodak, and that they will continue to develop/market products that are of "Kodak quality" well into the future. Not focused on making maximum profit, but simply because they want to support the community of individuals/professionals that WANT to shoot film...

But in all honesty, I'm embracing digital capture more and more. I've got my eye on shooting commercially as a career, so digital seems to really be the only option, primarily due to client's demanding time schedules for delivery. Some jobs the clients have REQUESTED film, but its not been for commercial work, only for editorial.

I'd love to see the Kodak 400VC of 2002-2006 emulsion vintage(design, prior to later "refinements" to improve scanning compatibility) come back, but I'm 99.99999% sure it won't...

Gist of my post here is this:

Embrace Fuji, don't scorn them. They're still producing/supporting E-6(reversal) films, look @ Kodak, they killed theirs off...Too bad, but I stockpiled E100G in anticipation of it, somehow "knowing" it was coming... Unfortunate, but I'm glad I've got my stash... But hopefully Provia 100F will still be there for me when I'm out of my supply of Ektachrome, as its a "suitable" replacement, but definitely not the same. Astia was great, but too under-marketed IMO...

I'm rambling, but I hope you all can get my point. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Get out there and expose film, get it processed at QUALITY labs(people that actually GIVE A DAMN about the results)... Don't "hoard", but constantly buy. Consistent demand(even if somewhat "low") will give companies an idea of what's selling, and what to keep in their lineups if its profitable. While its great that Andre can buy 290 rolls of Reala 120, unless you're shooting a cr@pload, or re-selling it for profit overseas, just buy what you will use in the next 1-2mo... Then re-order. Simple as that...

-Dan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin