Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,034   Online: 1280

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Its all relative these days with digital post-processing. If I had economical access to a wet-printing color lab w/ quality enlargers and a RT paper processor, I'd love to wet print. But these days, with scanning and photoshop, the film is just a medium to transfer an image to a file.
    Morning Dan,

While this is true to a point, films (like JPEGs) impart certain baseline qualities (pallette, contrast rate, ...) that carry through and these are not easily dismissed. These baseline qualities significantly affect the result regardless of printing method.

Andre's examples in 19 demonstrate this. Ektar created a baseline that would require a significant amount of work if the intent was to make a normal portrait. Reala created a baseline that would take little if any extra work to make ready.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not suggesting Ektar is bad, just that choosing the right tool/medium for the job at hand makes sense.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I'm totally convinced that 90% of the success of prints from color negative is down to the lab's standards and particularly the quality of the printing, rather than the actual brand of film used.
    I'm sure that there are no "bad" films from any of the main manufacturers,
    I think you are correct on this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji Reala is a fantastic film and for me it is the best color C41 film I've ever used. Most of my best shots are taken with Reala. I'm not a big fan of Kodak films and particularly dislike the cyan rendition of blues in some of the Kodak films like Ektar even though Ektar being a very sharp film.

It's a pity that fuji discontinued Reala in 35 mm, and that's one of the major reasons I'm gradually shifting to digital.
    Last edited by somak; 09-02-2012 at 11:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by somak View Post
    Fuji Reala is a fantastic film and for me it is the best color C41 film I've ever used. Most of my best shots are taken with Reala. I'm not a big fan of Kodak films and particularly dislike the cyan rendition of blues in some of the Kodak films like Ektar even though Ektar being a very sharp film.

It's a pity that fuji discontinued Reala in 35 mm, and that's one of the major reasons I'm gradually shifting to digital.
    I have read here on APUG, some notes from PE, that the cyan issue is actually caused by Kodak's films being sensitive to UV light which results in an overexposure of the blue sensitive layer; evidently simply adding a UV filter can solve much, if not all of that problem.

Not trying to change your preference, just an FYI.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I have read here on APUG, some notes from PE, that the cyan issue is actually caused by Kodak's films being sensitive to UV light which results in an overexposure of the blue sensitive layer; evidently simply adding a UV filter can solve much, if not all of that problem.

Not trying to change your preference, just an FYI.
    Unless I'm using any other filter almost all the time I keep an UV filter(Hoya generally) on my lens. But so far I failed to see any difference regarding that cyan rendition of blue. I'm not talking about the blue/cyan cast here , which is a different issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by somak View Post

It's better and cheaper to buy a medium format camera and use 120Reala that's freely available than switch to digital, and the image quality s better.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I've heard and seen Kodak Ektar "cyan" sky and unfortunately it seems to be due to poor "automatic" scanning.

Shooter
    35mm
    An hybrid area on how to properly use a scanner is badly, badly needed on APUG *

All the dramatic differences we are seeing on this comparisons are just differences in scanning, scanner calibration, filtration, etc.

The picture above, in post #27, shows how moot is to compare a film with another if the scanning work is not properly executed.
    So which is the "real" Kodak Ektar 100? The one to the left or the one to the right? Or one of the thousands filtrations more that can be obtained by using different settings?

My scanner if not profiled and if used with default settings has a slight green cast. That doesn't mean the film I scan on it has a green cast.

With negatives there is no "reference" and automatic settings will easily grossly fail, besides failing in a different way for each different setup.

Just as an exercise I tried to re-filter it. The result is certainly suboptimal due to the fact that curves have already been applied, that I was not there and I have no idea which colour was the grass, or the "grey" arm of the crane.

This image shows the great difficulty a printer has when he doesn't know the scene and has no known reference (such as a Greytag chart in the same light conditions).

The final result can be anything.

* I know, I know, this has already been debated, just saying.

(I see the sky as a bit too magenta and the rest of the scene a bit too yellow in general, probably).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails large_rifatto.jpg  
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 09-04-2012 at 04:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    psst, C41 scanning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    An hybrid area on how to properly use a scanner is badly, badly needed on APUG *
    No.

There are many other sources that are really good at that subject.

Here's one http://www.lynda.com/search?q=Scanning&x=0&y=0

Another http://photoshopuser.com/

Polyglot provided another.

DPUG is another.

People who choose labs for scan and develop can and should talk with their labs.

There are plenty of reasources.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin