Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,656   Online: 755

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I think it's a good choice. In the early '90's when I had my mini lab I always thought Reala was a better film. It's much more tolerant of exposure errors, produces more natural but "pleasing" colors and I think it has a much longer scale than Kodak films in general. If I were a color negative shooter it would be Reala exclusively for me. At that time Kodak introduced their Ektar films in 25, 125, & 1000. The 125 was a close rival in my estimation with its own "feel." I shot only one roll of Ektar 125 but it obviously was head & shoulders above everything else. When you sit in a lab all day running all types of film, a superior product is immediately recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    I have already made up my mind. 290 rolls of 120 format Fuji Reala, arrived today from Adorama. That should last a while. Will likewise stock up on Kodak Portra 160. Either of these films could be gone tomorrow from the marketplace for good.Attachment 56446

Shooter
    Pinhole
    You are right on both counts but Reala & Ektar 125 are immediate standouts.

Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I'm totally convinced that 90% of the success of prints from color negative is down to the lab's standards and particularly the quality of the printing, rather than the actual brand of film used.
    I'm sure that there are no "bad" films from any of the main manufacturers,

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Not only that, but supposedly this film was more natural under fluorescent light. Surprisingly I found this to be partially true. The green tinge was still there but much tamed it seemed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have commented on this before. My father used to use Reala all the time for weddings as he said it was formulated to keep skin tones accurate whilst keeping wedding dresses white.

I'm not sure if it was actually formulated with this in mind but it did work.

I think the clue is in the name Reala - real colours, not the over-saturated colour which some films deliver.

Steve.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    All color photo films are great.
    Yes, and some are more great. ;-)

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Yes, and the old Ektar 125 was not like this example at all.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Whew! Windbag alert, sorry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You know you can edit your posts shortly after posting to add more information?

Shooter
    35mm
    Removed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin