Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,096   Online: 1026

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeahbut a 400' roll is over $400 (saw the price in another thread) and four times bigger than my bulk loader can handle. Might not be TOO hard to cut down to four 100' rolls but it would sure be an expensive mistake if you messed it up.

Someone might be able to make a few bucks cutting these down to 100' rolls for re-sell though.

Shooter
    35mm
    As long as the developing characteristics are the same as what was recently killed, I'd be willing to try a 100foot roll.
    We ask Simon for everything else...Hey, Simon, how about Ilford buying a bunch of that film, splitting it and selling it in 100 foot rolls!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Yeahbut a 400' roll is over $400 (saw the price in another thread) and four times bigger than my bulk loader can handle. Might not be TOO hard to cut down to four 100' rolls but it would sure be an expensive mistake if you messed it up.

Someone might be able to make a few bucks cutting these down to 100' rolls for re-sell though.
    Roger, it's $475 direct from Kodak, which seems to be as cheap as it comes. I haven't found cheaper.

This film seems expensive compared to the B&W bulk rolls that we're all used to buying, but it is less expensive than buying leftover stocks of E100VS or E100G. You get 18 rolls per 100 foot bulk, so you should get 72 rolls per 400 foot roll. That works out to $6.60 per roll. Factor in your shipping costs and it's a little more per roll, but still cheaper than the film that has been discontinued. What would it cost you to buy 72 factory loaded 36-exposure rolls of E100VS?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    As long as the developing characteristics are the same as what was recently killed, I'd be willing to try a 100foot roll.
    We ask Simon for everything else...Hey, Simon, how about Ilford buying a bunch of that film, splitting it and selling it in 100 foot rolls!
    I'm sure it would be cheaper to buy in volume. Maybe someone like John Schwind of International Film Brokers might be interested in breaking down 5285 (the 35mm version of 100D) into 100 foot bulk rolls for resale to 35mm bulk loaders. He is already supplying regular 8mm and DS8 100D movie film made from 7285 (the 16mm version of 100D).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    That's a lot of film-now all you need is time!
    Not time to play. He'll be far too busy paying off those credit card purchases. By the time he's old n' gray they'll be paid off but he'll be on his last legs. Then... some rotten brat will inherit all the film and either pawn it for a penny on the dollar or throw it all out as outdated junk.

Shooter
    35mm
    What we should do is ask Kodak to publish their discontinued emulsions under a creative commons licence. Then you could ring up Simon, send him a copy of the discontinued emulsion and ask him to get a master roll coated for you, split up and put into 36 exposure rolls. Rent yourself space for a few skids at a cold storage place, and you would have film for life. Of course you would need to buy a 20kg pail of CD4 to make sure you could get it all processed.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I Just Took the Plunge (Film Stockpile)

Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    What we should do is ask Kodak to publish their discontinued emulsions under a creative commons licence. Then you could ring up Simon, send him a copy of the discontinued emulsion and ask him to get a master roll coated for you...
    I did a little work around a Fuji plant. Just getting ready to coat their own stuff wasn't a piece of cake. Coating a "foreign" product and getting it "right" is pretty unlikely.

Think about going from one bakery to the next looking at pastries. Even with the chefs using the same recipe the results vary. Ok, Bon Bons might be clearly recognizable as such, but they aren't identical in the way we've come to expect a roll of Plus-X to be identical from batch to batch.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just as a small aside here, the EK cold storage has a very expensive backup power supply. They have their own electric plant that kicks in if the local power fails. It is seamless and very large. Oh, did I mention expensive??

It is coal powered.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Just as a small aside here, the EK cold storage has a very expensive backup power supply. They have their own electric plant that kicks in if the local power fails. It is seamless and very large. Oh, did I mention expensive??

It is coal powered.

PE
    Interesting. So if they shut down their factory, they could always sell electricity to the local utility.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting. So if they shut down their factory, they could always sell electricity to the local utility.
    If a company runs a backup generator for more than ~40 hours in a year you are subject to increased EPA regulations, very very expensive ones.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin