Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,661   Online: 743

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

I Just Took the Plunge (Film Stockpile)

I used credit my credit lines and bought from Adorama, Samy's and B&H:

35mm Fuji Provia 100F
    35mm Kodak E100G
    120 Fuji Reala 100 (you see my stash here)
    120 Kodak Portra 160 (almost as big as Reala stash)
    120 Fuji Provia 100F
    120 Fuji Velvia
    120 Kodak E100G
    120 Kodak E100VS
    4x5 Kodak Portra 160
    4x5 Kodak E100G
    4x5 Kodak Tri-X 320 TXP
    4x5 Fuji Astia (last box Samy's)

Aside from the TXP 320 these are all slower emulsions by design. I further determined what to stockpile based on looking at my old stuff and also considering what is likely to be scarce in not too distant future. Most crucial for me was scoring some medium format Reala and Portra 160.

Total dent in the financials is about 5K. I am not married and don't own a car - which explains it.

I sincerely hope that the Lord (or Santa) blesses all of you with the funds (or credit) at the right time to stockpile your favorite films as well.

Andre
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's a lot of film-now all you need is time!

Shooter
    35mm
    This reminds me of what happened some years ago when it looked like Ilford might end production. Stores everywhere were wiped out. Reala may be my favorite color print film in 120. It isn't quite as fine grained as Ektar 100 but it's easier to use. You have to work at it to get a bad result from Reala. The way things are going you might have to develop the slide film yourself before the last of it is used. I have a dedicated film freezer which has been full for a while. The overflow has gone into the freezer of the second refrigerator which we keep in the basement. My local camera store has a stash of hundreds of rolls of film which a customer left with them. As I understand it the whole batch has been frozen for a long time. Looking though it is like going back in time. I am in the process of testing some of the fim now. The problem is that I don't have freezer room for much more film so I have to think about getting another freezer if I want the film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Alan, correct, all I need is time AND self discipline.

dynachrome, yes I remember the Ilford bankruptcy scare of ~ 2004 too. Ironic that Ilford will be the last of the professional B&W film producers very soon. I expect a noticeable price increase on Ilford B&W films at that time and going forward from them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it really the time to stockpile such an amount of film? (Ektachrome excepted).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andre, you cannot say with certainty that Ilford will soon be the last of the professional B&W film producers. Fuji makes B&W film too. Mirko said that ADOX is going to come out with new films, starting with a 100 ASA film. And it is too early to say what will happen with Kodak.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Is it really the time to stockpile such an amount of film? (Ektachrome excepted).
    Yes. It's time for self sufficiency.

Once Kodak E6 stocks are completely gone from dealer warehouses (a matter of days for some films), Fuji will jack up the price of their abbreviated E6 films, and then follow suit by discontinuing their E6 films altogether a la Kodak. This is not from any official announcement, but based on a long recent history of Agfa, Kodak, Fuji, etc.

As for the C-41 films, Kodak just signed a contract with the motion picture industry to manufacture color films for them to the year 2015 - but Kodak included a clause stating that Kodak can discontinue making film any time before then... Kodak Portra 160 is almost $40 for a 10 sheet box of 4x5. Fuji doesn't even make color negative sheet film anymore.

Right after I bought most of Adorama's stock of 120 format Fuji Reala 100, they raised the price overnight of their remaining stock by about 15%. I couldn't believe my eyes, so I checked my invoice. Yes it's true.

The writing is on the wall, and with a braille plaque beside it.
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 09-03-2012 at 12:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    This reminds me of what happened some years ago when it looked like Ilford might end production.
    There is one important difference: Manufacturing professional quality color film is exponentially more complex and exacting than making B&W film.

Back then we were worried that we would lose ILFORD B&W film - not B&W film itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is depressing, but it appears that saving color film is too hard for this world. Progress must march on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good for You, Andre!
    Last week, Mirko wrote on the Fotokemika thread that Fuji Europe has announced 20% price increase on all silver halide products!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin