Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,101   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Velvia sheet film now ALL discontinued ???(not a repost)

I've seen the news back in July that some Velvia was being discontinued in 4x5", but not all. I've heard only 100F, then only 50 and 100F but not 100, but now B&H shows that all flavors of Velvia in 4x5" (and 8x10") are discontinued. Anyone got the scoop? I e-mailed Fujifilm USA last night but as of yet I have not received a reply. The only "official" declarations I can find from Fuji on the matter appear on their UK site.

Is it really so???
    Last edited by PeteZ8; 09-05-2012 at 03:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw this yesterday, if that's what you're talking about.

https://www.facebook.com/FreestylePh...51876382504298
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the update. I wonder why B&H shows Velvia 100 (non "F") as being discontinued? I can live with only Velvia 100 if I have too, not that I shoot much 4x5" slide but when I do, well...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just talked to the film counter at B&H... they seem a little confused now as well. They're looking into it and I'll keep this updated. Might be a few days...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A while back I was looking for an Omega enlarger accessory. B&H had them, then before I could order they were listed as discontinued. Some time passed, then they were again listed as available, and I purchased one.

When I asked about it, I was told that "discontinued" means that B&H feels they can no longer obtain the item in the foreseeable future, for whatever reason. If it becomes available to them again later, then it becomes un-discontinued.

In other words, "discontinued" apparently applies only to B&H's inventory supply, not necessarily to the manufacturer's situation regarding the manufacturing of the item in question.

I don't know if this still applies, or applies in your case. Or was just being made up on the fly by the person I was corresponding with. But it's what I was told.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Ken. The person I spoke with put me on hold to contact the buyer, but the buyer was not available. I was advised to check back in a day or two. I certainly did not get the feeling that I was being fed a line from the rep on the phone, as I never do with B&H. Got a name and extension and all. Just the same top notch service I always get from them. I see what you are saying about B&H's definition of "discontinued", and I suppose that makes sense. Adorama now shows 50 and 100 as being temporarily unavailable with 50 being open ended on delivery, so perhaps there is something to your explanation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps a mod could change this alarmist thread title since there has been no annoucement that all Velvia is or will be discontinued. As far as I can tell, it is still just 100F in roll and sheet, and 50 in sheet. Velvia 100 (not F) will remain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    Perhaps a mod could change this alarmist thread title since there has been no annoucement that all Velvia is or will be discontinued. As far as I can tell, it is still just 100F in roll and sheet, and 50 in sheet. Velvia 100 (not F) will remain.
    I had meant to put a ??? in the title.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing spectacular about Velvia 100F and I suspect that no love will be lost when it topples off into obscurity. It is a very difficult emulsion to scan well requiring a lot of colourimetric inversion and testing.

On the other hand, losing Velvia 50 (when, not if ), and to a lesser extent Velvia 100, will be a serious tragedy.

It is important to note that what retailers are doing, stocking and saying is not the same as what is happening at the manufacturer's end.. So whatever B&H and Freestyle and others are doing is irrelevant. Fujifilm has already made the announcement regarding which Velvia emulsions will be discontinued from December 2012. There is no need to read anything more into it based on poor inventory or ad-lib references of retailers.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&H has previously marked things as 'Discontinued' only to have them subsequently rise from the dead.

I think there's some kind of disconnect between their buyers and their sales staff.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin