Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,762   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

RA4 Printing Problem

Has anyone any ideas what is causing what looks like a cyan coloured stain around the edges of my print. I am using Fuji CA paper and Kodak's Ektacolor Developer Replenisher RT/LU in a Nova heated slot processor at 35 degrees celcius. As well as the stain, the print itself has a muddy cast over it. This is the first time I have encountered this problem. I know its not a safe light problem as I didn't use one. I mixed fresh developer to see if that helped but the problem still exists.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have had that problem.

The fix for me was to change my process to keep the solutions from getting contaminated.

I'm using a JOBO and reliably get 20 8x10s using 200ml.

The last ten seconds of each bath is draining.

Pre-rinse twice, 30" each clean water
    Develop for time appropriate for the temp in use
    Stop bath 30"
    Rinse, clean water, 30"
    Blix for the same time the developer got
    Three 30" rinses in clean water
    Last edited by markbarendt; 09-07-2012 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Blue stains can imply developer carryover into the blix, or fogging. Though you don't have a safelight, that doesn't mean your darkroom is safe - RA4 is pretty sensitive stuff so I would suggest doing a safety test by progressively covering a sheet with hard-edged things (coins, tanks, whatever).

To prevent carryover, the recommended way is to use at least one of a stop bath and/or rinse between developer and blix. My process looks like markbarendt's though I give it at least 2:00 of rinsing (as per Ektacolor specs) and 4 changes of water in that time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I left one thing out.

I do add extra time as more sheets go through. So 1 minute is a normal start time for the temps I use, the first 6-8 sheets get that for both develop and blix, then the next 6-8 get 1:30, the balance maybe 2:00. I don't know if this extra time is needed, I haven't found the limit yet, but Kodak does advise extra time when you go past normal capacity.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blix or hypo contamination of the developer, safelight fog or lack of a stop after development with inadequate blixing.

Thsse are 3 of the likely causes of cyan stain.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    When I started colour printing (in the last century) I used a JOBO and got all descriptions of problems and probably the same as you are getting now. I changed over to a Nova Slot Processor and the problem disappeared. It WAS contamination caused by not washing and drying the drum out properly after each print. Doing it after each print was tedious and slow, the NOVA is much quicker and more reliable, you only have to rinse off the clips that hold the paper.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 09-08-2012 at 08:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This problem happened from the first sheet of paper that went through the process. All chemicals were freshly mixed and there are no light leaks in my darkroom. I have never had this problem before so it really has me baffled. I doubt it is caused by dev carry over into the blix as I use a stop and also a rinse bath between them. Its strange that the stain is only on the edges of the paper although the cloudy dull cast is all over the print. I will mix fresh chemistry again and have another go at it.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you tried the pre-rinse?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No I have never pre-rinsed and never had this problem but I suppose it won't hurt to try it.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had a similar, but not identical, problem that turned out to be bad, although newly purchased, paper. In addition to the staining like you mention, the paper base had a yellow cast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin