Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,675   Online: 985

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO 800 film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Psychoanalyst_god,

Have you considered using a tripod and doing long exposures (30 mins - an hour?) on Velvia? Slide film is great for night-time shots. The only real downside is waiting around for an hour or so during the exposure. It's just a thought.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Portra 800 for C-41
    I do not have a recommendation for slide film.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Hi Psychoanalyst_god,

Have you considered using a tripod and doing long exposures (30 mins - an hour?) on Velvia? Slide film is great for night-time shots. The only real downside is waiting around for an hour or so during the exposure. It's just a thought.

Cheers,
    kevs
    That is not an option for the northern lights.....I will end up with a light smear on the sky instead of capturing the dynamics of the aurora....

But for traditional night sky shots, yes......velvia would be lovely.

Avi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like you're set!

Shooter
    35mm
    Found this on Flickr - Northern Lights on Slide Film. Perhaps e-mailing him, he can tell you what he used.
    Beware the use of Portra 400 for this subject matter, being a portrait film, and also designed to work under mixed lighting (think, neutralizes "color casts"), you may very well end up with washed out, muted, "auto white balanced away" colors.

Most slide films dont have these issues (hence, terrible under indoor lighting or mixed lighting), which is a strength in your case. Stick to ektar and 400X. Triple up on the 400x, not thye Portra. As this shot proves, the Northern Lights can be captured very well with slide film. And given it is from 2001, its proibably either E200 pushed (800 max, which 400X does easily), or Provia 400F.
    1 roll 400X at 400
    1 roll at 800
    1 roll at 1600
    Your set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanspa...n/photostream/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pukalo View Post
    Found this on Flickr - Northern Lights on Slide Film. Perhaps e-mailing him, he can tell you what he used.
    Beware the use of Portra 400 for this subject matter, being a portrait film, and also designed to work under mixed lighting (think, neutralizes "color casts"), you may very well end up with washed out, muted, "auto white balanced away" colors.

Most slide films dont have these issues (hence, terrible under indoor lighting or mixed lighting), which is a strength in your case. Stick to ektar and 400X. Triple up on the 400x, not thye Portra. As this shot proves, the Northern Lights can be captured very well with slide film. And given it is from 2001, its proibably either E200 pushed (800 max, which 400X does easily), or Provia 400F.
    1 roll 400X at 400
    1 roll at 800
    1 roll at 1600
    Your set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanspa...n/photostream/
    Pukalo,

Many thanks! That is sound advice. I got a 5 roll pack of Provia 400X.....that should be enough for the 3 experiments you mentioned above, although I am not too keen on a 2 stop push. We will see......I will have to make a last min judgement call based on the intensity of the lights up in the Arctic.

Beyond that, if time permits (I also have my D300 with the Tokina 11-16 which will take precedence above the film for obvious reasons...and I have only 1 tripod) I will experiment with the portra.

You are right about the aurora shots in the Flickr stream. They are clearly long exposures on slow slide film.........I made the mistake of shooting at low ISO last year and my images were pretty much like those......light smear. They look lovely, but the aurora looks absolutely stunning when keeping exposures below 30 secs. That should be possible with ISO800 and f2.8.

Anyone have recommendations for sending in the film for development/push? I used E-Six in Atlanta for my Portra experiments. I don't want to unnecessarily blame them (it is very likely that I am at fault for the poor results), but I'd rather go with a lab people have had sufficient experience with and have consistently got good results.

I have heard good things about Richard's Photolab over in California.

Avi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psychoanalyst_god View Post
    .that should be enough for the 3 experiments you mentioned above, although I am not too keen on a 2 stop push. We will see.....
    Don't worry too much, Provia 400X handles 2 stop pushes quite well. It's a beautiful film with great colors!
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Don't worry too much, Provia 400X handles 2 stop pushes quite well. It's a beautiful film with great colors!
    If I can capture the lights on slide, that is one thing off my "dream" check-list!

Thanks.

Avi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Pukalo, Portra will wash out those beautiful colors that you are trying to capture.
    IMHO, Ektar pushed to 800 is noisy, but in a nice way (I like grain if it looks filmy). You may want to try a roll or two to see what happens.
    As for the best bet... probably the Provia 400x. Looks good pushed a couple stops.
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    35mm
    Dont take chances with your prior lab! I would say it is pretty difficult to screw up negative shots on the shooters end - but very easy, and likely, on the processing end. Especially in todays low volume film world, where many labs keep the chems far too long to squeeze out a few extra dollars. At your expense.

Send you slide film to either:
    Denver Digital Imaging aka The Slide Printer
    www.theslideprinter.com
    They specialize in E-6, and have a long history of good work, back to the 1970's. They use a dip and Dunk machine too, which is bber than roller transport (which can scratch your film).

OR

North Coast Photo of Ken Rockwell fame/acclaim. Especially good if you want some decent scans at reasonable prices to go with your slides. They have decent volume too, due to the referral at Kens site.

http://www.northcoastphoto.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin