Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,478   Online: 1088

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd only change it to something like: "I already spend most of my life in front of a computer, so I don't want my hobbies and pastimes there too!" I'm actually pretty much a Luddite outside of work. Refuse to carry a cell phone too.

Just today I developed my first roll of film in just about 30 years. I was just staring at them and they look beautiful. My enlarger is in the closet and almost ready. I'm coming home too. I'm remembering just how magical it can be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Refuse to carry a cell phone too.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Refuse to carry a cell phone too.
    Me too. If I leave the house I don't want to be contactable.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One of the things that got me back into film, was an old Polaroid SX-70. I'd never used one before, but I've been having a ball. The colours on the IMPOSSIBLE film are a bit weird, but the photos are so smooth and the antithesis of digital. No worries about megapixels or sharpening, just stick them on the fridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaroid1b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	57163

Anyone else been playing with Polaroid?

Daniel.

PS. Scanned on a photocopier, so don't get too picky!
    Last edited by snaggs; 09-15-2012 at 06:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Me too. If I leave the house I don't want to be contactable.

Steve.
    I'm with you man, I like the peace and quiet of knowing that I don't have to be at the beck and call of some stupid piece of plastic.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Back to film and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    I'm with you man, I like the peace and quiet of knowing that I don't have to be at the beck and call of some stupid piece of plastic.
    It is possible to turn a mobile phone off and leave it at home.
    But I understand the mindset. I used to not have a mobile phone until I got divorced. I no longer have a landline, only a mobile, and it is a bit liberating, actually. I was reluctant, but am happy I did it.

Polaroids? Why not? My girlfriend uses a Spectra, and we tried to fix her up with a Landcamera, but couldn't make the shutter work. She found it very addicting.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's certainly possible to turn the phone off. I don't know about leaving it at home. When I've (very rarely) done that accidentally it's produced very real anxiety. If I'm anywhere near home when I realize I'll just turn around and go back and get it.

Your lives as you've known them are over. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Your lives as you've known them are over. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.
    Ha!

I had a cell phone about 15 years ago and what I found is that everyone expects you to answer any time. I work at home and my schedule is usually from very early in the morning ( usually before 5AM ) to mid-afternoon. A lot of my colleagues roll in to work at 10 and don't leave until 6 or 7PM. Usually they'd run into their problems sometime after I'd already worked 10 hours and then start calling me...so the cell phone turned me into an on-call slave 24 hours a day. ( My colleagues on the East coast or in Europe also calling early... )

One day I just decided I was totally sick of it. I have a land line in my home office and if I'm working I'll be there to answer the phone. I threw away the cell phone and I've never looked back. I've thought of getting one for personal use, but I am *sure* the number will eventually get in everyone's hands again... it's just a sure bet that one day it will be easier for me to tell someone to call on my cell and that will be the beginning of the end of my peace.

I have thought about buying a "paygo" phone to keep in my car for emergencies... maybe...

Believe it or not I think this actually is related to why film photography appeals to me, but I don't have time to type it all out now. I want to go to my closet ( aka darkroom ) and make some prints!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well they can expect what they like. I will do what *I* like, and I don't answer it unless I want to. I actually have two, my personal one and a company issued one. The latter I never, ever, carry except for the one week every two months I'm on call, and I leave the ringer off then, but that's for special reason. Even three years after I took this job I get calls from bill collectors for a former owner of the number, so many it would drive me crazy to leave the ringer on. I actually just posted my personal cell on the work call outs page. No one abuses it. Some colleagues have it in their phone books but only use it when it's justified. I carry the work one when I'm on call because I can still get work email through it more easily than through my personal one.

As for the personal one - any number I don't recognize I don't answer. They can leave a voice mail. If I want to call them back I will and if I don't I won't. If they don't leave a message they didn't want to talk to me very badly.

I really have trouble imagining life without my smartphone, but you have to be smarter than what you're working with. Since I started with a Star Trek reference, to quote Spock from TOS, "Computers make excellent and efficient servants but I have no wish to serve under them."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...what I found is that everyone expects you to answer any time.
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

And the winning continues!

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin