Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,783   Online: 1205

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Meopta Opemus iii Enlarger

Hi i have got a Meopta Opemus iii Enlarger and was wondering if i would be able to enlarge Colour prints on it with the xorrect chemicals

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Simple answer is that unless you have a colour head, which was not available for this model opemus, then no, it is a black and white enlarger not a colour,better to use your local mini lab such as Jessops, cheaper and easier than trying it at home without a lot of experience, personally, I wouldn't eveb try it.

Shooter
    35mm
    what would a colour head look like

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you won't get a colour head for your enlarger, but a colour head has dial in colour filters to correct the colour balance when making colour prints,if you want to get an idea what colour enlargers look like take a look on the firstcall website, they have plenty, and they are all very expensive, plus for colour printing you also need special papers, you need to work in almost total darkness, your c41 chemicalss are fine for film but you need different chemicals for colour printing, I reckon to set your self up for colour printing you won't get much change out of a couple of thousand pounds, unless you are VERY keen then for the odd film it is realy not worth the money, better to use your local mini lab, as far as Meopta goes, they no longer make darkroom equipment, and your opemus 3 is getting on a bit, very well made and does a great job for black and white, but never meant for colour, so if you have the money to spend in setting up for colour printing then look around the firstcall website, or try searching for second hand equipment,there is a lot around, and that is as much as I know about colour printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    so if i tried using it would they just come out as b+w prints

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisphotos123 View Post
    so if i tried using it would they just come out as b+w prints
    As I have never tried I don't know, I have never tried colour printing, the most I have ever tried is E6 processing for slides, and that was not very good, so if I do any colour then I leave it to the professionals

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    Simple answer is that unless you have a colour head, which was not available for this model opemus, then no, it is a black and white enlarger not a colour,better to use your local mini lab such as Jessops, cheaper and easier than trying it at home without a lot of experience, personally, I wouldn't eveb try it.
    This is not 100% true, many enlargers have a filter drawer, and you might be able to find a set of colour compensating filters, that would allow colour with a B&W enlarger. The filter sets were common at one time, less common now, but you may still find them around. Don't expect to find them at the local (digital) camera store though.......
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The opemus 3 does not have a filter draw, if you want MG filters you need a below the lens set, so the filter pack, even if you could find one, so if he wants to try colour he will need to get another enlarger,I have not seen such a set this side of the pond for many years, I don't think they are made now, which is why I didn't mention them,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisphotos123 View Post
    what would a colour head look like
    An Opemus colorhead could look like this.
    IIRC they where available from the Opemus 4 series.
    Best regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails opemus colorhead.jpg  
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    The opemus 3 does not have a filter draw, if you want MG filters you need a below the lens set, so the filter pack, even if you could find one, so if he wants to try colour he will need to get another enlarger,I have not seen such a set this side of the pond for many years, I don't think they are made now, which is why I didn't mention them,
    Didn't know they made them much past the early 1970's without filter drawers, really though enlargers are cheap enough now, that it would be easier to pick up a colour enlarger. The hardest part might be to find a replacement for the proprietary bulbs that some enlargers used, where the bulb hasn't been made since 1986....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin