Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,641   Online: 805

Shooter
    35mm

Color of clear film base - Diagnostic Value?

I have noticed that the color of the clear film base (exposed portion of the film leader used to load film into camera) varies on E6 film, and that the lab always includes the leader ends. When I used to send out for slides, this would often be yellowish, or pink, or blue, or sometimes crystal clear. Now that I do my own home E6, I usually see the ends with a very slight grey (like a very light ND filter), or sometimes slightly bluish tint to the clear base. Is there any meaning/diagnostic value in these color variations, or are they simply a characteristic of the emulsion or base material itself?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wonder about this too.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pukalo View Post
    I have noticed that the color of the clear film base (exposed portion of the film leader used to load film into camera) varies on E6 film, and that the lab always includes the leader ends. When I used to send out for slides, this would often be yellowish, or pink, or blue, or sometimes crystal clear. Now that I do my own home E6, I usually see the ends with a very slight grey (like a very light ND filter), or sometimes slightly bluish tint to the clear base. Is there any meaning/diagnostic value in these color variations, or are they simply a characteristic of the emulsion or base material itself?
    I think the lab includes them for a more sensible reason, when they spool your film they put a code on it and the same code on the envelope, they include the leader to make sure they got the right envelope, and the tail to make sure they got all the images.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin