Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,443   Online: 856

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Strange Bands Across Negatives (4x5 and 6x)

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any insight on this one.

I just got back a roll of 120 and some sheets of 4x5 from the lab and noticed that both the 120 and 4x5 had strange rows of banding going along the long edge of the negatives. The image with the fence is a detail (about half the neg) of a 4x5 and the other is a detail of a 120 (6x7) neg.

Trying to figure out if its the lab, shutter issues or possible film fogging. Oh joy!

Btw, both are Portra 400 (120 and 4x5).

Thanks again!

J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails streaks_1_4x5.jpg   streaks_1_6x7.jpg  
    Last edited by junbug75; 09-22-2012 at 01:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That looks more like some kind of processing error on the part of your lab than a shutter issue and i've never seen film fog like that, but I'm no expert on roller-transport developing systems. Was this film X-Ray'd at any point, do you know? Maybe that could be it.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks much like uneven development to me.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey Everybody,

Thanks for all the replies!

I just spoke with my lab and they confirmed that the issue was with development. Ugh. Seem like some issue with the bleach step hence the streaky negatives.

A thornier issue is, should I work with this lab again?

J

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The answer is NO!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I guess I'll have to stop. They didn't offer any apology or even refund. It's too bad since I really enjoyed working with them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin