Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,609   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole

What are your future plans for the use of E-6 and C-41 materials?

Caution: Semi long post.

I recently acquired a Jobo CPP2 system (along with some other goodies) for a reasonable price and am weighing the possibility of resale vs. getting into the mail order film processing business. To that end Iím curious about your view of your personal usage of E6 & C41 materials for the next 5 years.

I am not new to color processing and process control as I have 8 yearís experience in C41 from late Ď80ís to early Ď90ís. Although those systems were continuous, replenished systems. The last half of that was in my own mini lab, so Iím pretty familiar with that end of the film business.

My challenge will be getting up to speed on E6 and deciding how to approach chemistry management in both cases; 1-shot or replenished. Iíve been reading as many old threads as possible on APUG to get a feel for the particulars. It seems the balance between convenience and cost savings is more or less leveled out by the time involved. While I understand the difference between seasoned/replenished systems versus 1-shot w/starter in the mixes, Iím having trouble getting my head around the terminology manufacturers use to denote their various products and which is meant for a high-volume system and which for low volume production lines like Iím anticipating for myself.

Iíll be able to handle anything up to 4x5 in the Jobo and will be looking to expand that. One wrinkle I see is slide mounting. At present I donít have any set-up for that and donít plan to add that capabilityóthough Iím open to rethinking that if needed. I do have an Epson 3200 scanner and will probably include a Ďcontact sheetí scan. I will not be doing color printing on silver-based materials, and I havenít given much thought to offering color printing from digital.

My question to all of you is; do you feel inclined to respond if I create a short, 10-question poll on Survey Monkey asking about your film and service usage as it relates to you for the next 5-7 years? I thought that would be easier to deal with than creating a monster thread here. I also encourage further discussion here as well. Thanks.

Steve Giesel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm more concerned about E6 than C-41 in terms of future viability; my rather ill-timed foray into Ilfochrome printing means I now need to make good use of expensive materials, necessitating much E6 based photography, so I'll need to get my Jobo ATL-2300 up and running again; hoping my Kodak E6 kit is still viable.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the biggest challenge will be digitizing the processed film. I have the film, I have the chemicals, and I have enough cameras to last until I die, but if my Nikon Coolscan 5000 ever dies I will be one sad monkey.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well I just sold both of DLSRs a Nikon D300 and D3s. I upgraded to an F5 and a 2nd RZ67.

Nuff Said

But seriously, I have about 500 sheets of 4x5 between Kodak, Fuji and Ilford. And about 200 rolls of 120 in my freezer. I buy 35mm when I need it. I'm more concerned about chemistry than film at this point since I only shoot about 2 rolls a month, and 4x5 here and there. I have enough film to last the rest of my life at the rate I shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    my biggest plans are to shoot all the e6 + c41 film i have
    and i have a boatload of 35mm, 120, 4x5 and 5x7
    and i will process it in sumatranol 130 film developer.
    yes, i know it is a black/white film developer, but there is no one
    local who will process color bigger than 35mm and i really don't want
    to deal with shipping &c ... or using color chemistry here at home ...
    SO
    it will all be converted to b/w film with a color cast that i can remove using
    current technology. the grain is nice + smooth and i really can't complain

i have a few photographs in my "album" on my profile page ...
    oh, and for actual color images?
    i plan on using a modern device, which is not very modern at the moment ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot about 70% B&W, 30% color. About 5% of that is transparency film. Currently 90% 35mm and 10% 120; I do not shoot LF. I process my own B&W, send out my color for process and scan. I have no scanner or printer at home. I have lately been looking at doing my own color processing, or perhaps just the E6, as it seems like everyone I go to sends their E6 to Dwaynes.

At the current rate of disappearance I don't see color materials being available ten years from now, or priced so extravagantly as to put it out of reach of the hobbyist, so I am more focused on the B&W side of things; as I intend to build a darkroom in the next five years, it will be a B&W darkroom. Any investment in color process, I am thinking, will be money flushed down the toilet. I wish it were otherwise, and will be delighted to be proved wrong.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E-6? I've given it up. Didn't want to, but with the death of Ektachrome I decided it was time. I've played recently with Ektar and Portra and the results seem promising. I'm going to try my hand at RA4 printing some of the tons of negatives I have, if that goes well then I might do some Ektar or Portra and C-41 at home on the Jobo. If the printing doesn't go well then I'll stick with black and white.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use E-6 at home for my super-8 processing, E-6 is a piece of cake at home, even by using a water bath to maintain temperature. I use the Tetenal 3-Bath kit for E-6 and Tetenal C41. I use kodak ektar film as my primary colour film, superb! C41, like E6 is a piece of cake, easier than B&W in fact.
    Its just maintaining temperatures, failures here can be catastrophic, but keep to it, and it is easy. I plan to home process all my super-8 so as long as i can shoot colour super-8, i will use E-6. likewise for C41. I do alot of B&W shooting, developing and printing, all depends on my mood at the time for what I am shooting. I use many B&W films favouring Rollei RPX, Kodak TMAX and ilford's range (Delta 100, 3200, FP4), XP2 Super I use when i know I will need to shoot under a wide range of conditions for a given session, and the C-41 processing for XP2 makes it a piece of cake.

Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E6? I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up several hundred rolls of Ektachrome E100G and VS (both in 35mm and 120 formats) over the course of the last several months (perhaps 700 rolls total?). At current rates, this stash should last me 18-14 months. Thereafter, I am not certain whether I will start shooting Provia/Velvia or just give up on colour work. To date, I have been sending my E6 to Dwayne's; I have a batch (60 rolls?) that I will have processed locally (ABC Color) to see how well the locals do.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well it's pretty damn premature to be stampeded into panic for me. E6 and C41 developing are readily available in this area for any format film, so I feel no need to add yet another chore to my darkroom work. I have enough sheet film in the freezer for about a decade of serious work, and far
    more old shots than I'll ever have time to print. But if either of these types of chemisty falls out of
    favor commercially some day, don't expect mere hobby amounts to stay in production for long either.
    Still, it's the horse I'm betting on. Most latest and greatest digital gear will probably be obsolete and
    unservicable first, and need to be repurchased on a frequent basis. And I just don't like the look of
    inkjets, at least for my own images.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin