Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1150

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    I've had such bad luck with Fuji ... the *moment* I start liking any one if their films, they discontinue it, lol ...

I'll take a look at Velvia, though. Anyone have any experience with Rollei Digibase CR200? I love their C41 stuff.

BradS - The 4242 was from my original AOL screen name from 10 or so years ago. It's from The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, where 42 is "the answer to life, the universe and everything" ... what can I say? I was 10 or 12 years old at the time.
    "How many roads must a man walk down...?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i guess the answer is no longer blowing in the wind ...

Though, according to the last book in the series, the original question was "What do you get when you multiply six by nine".

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Velvia 50 delivers for fall (autumn to us here in Australia!) richness of palette but requires knowledge of its specific lighting: it is a bloody awful film to use in bright sun. Also, in 35mm format, the tonal range is compressed which means it requires considered metering and, very often, gentle over-exposure to avoid blocking (e.g. EI40). I have used it for 20 years in 35mm with excellent results (printed to Ilfochrome Classic media) but find the results are greatly better in MF. It is easier to expose with a manual meter (spot metering especially).

Provia 100 for lower contrast but at the same time less of a Vaudeville palette. I don't think it's very punchy for fall colours. By the same token, C41 is pale in comparison to Velvia. But it's all a matter of personal taste and what you will be doing with the end result. For me, it is printing, framing and exhibiting.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

The Mayan calendar is base 13. So is 6X9=42, coincidence? JK
    There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks. —Erwin Schrödinger

Shooter
    35mm
    I second the Provia 100F and Velvia 100 (no F). If you're looking for good skin tones, the Velvia 100 is debatable, but the Provia will give you good skin tones. Having said that, I do have 2 rolls of the Agfa/Rollei CR200 in the fridge waiting to be used. And if the Agfa Prescia CT is indeed the film formerly known as Fuji Sensia, it is a good film as well with colors that are good for people shots and lower contrast than Provia. I haven't seen the Prescia for sale Stateside yet though.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe I'll grab a roll of provia and see what happens.

I'd love to try the digibaae CR200, but freestyle says they're not going to have it until November. Anybody know where it's in stock?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    i guess the answer is no longer blowing in the wind ...

Though, according to the last book in the series, the original question was "What do you get when you multiply six by nine".
    Which would be 54, not 42.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    @htmlguru: B&H is showing it ships in 7-14 days. But when I ordered it 2 weeks ago with a 5-pack of Provia 100F, I received both within 2 business days. (I usually order a 5-pack of the Provia because it costs the same for ground shipping whether I order 1 roll or 10, so it spreads the shipping cost out over several rolls.)

@wogster: six times nine is forty-two if you use base 13 .
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wogster, that is true, but you'd understand if you had read the books. They are ... unique.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes they are. So don't forget your towel when you go out shooting; that way your friends will think you're one Hoopy Frood and be more inclined to loan you that lens that you forgot at home.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin