Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,074   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Slide film recommendations?

I've been holding off on shooting slide since Kodachrome bit the dust, but I've decided to try it again.

Going to be shooting outside this fall on 35mm, so slower film is okay.

What have people found to work well?

Shooter
    Large Format
    You don't have a lot of options anymore...Fuji Provia and Velvia are pretty much it.
    Fall color? I'd go with Velvia.

Hey, what is the significance of the '4242' ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can recommend Velvia 100 (without F) and Provia 400X from personal experience. If you intend to shoot autumnal trees, Velvia 100 is hard to beat. Provia 400X has a very rich but more natural saturation than Velvia. I like it for its sharpness and the speed. Grain is a bit more of an issue, though it is comparably fine for an 400 ISO slide film from what I´ve read (Have not tried any other).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had such bad luck with Fuji ... the *moment* I start liking any one if their films, they discontinue it, lol ...

I'll take a look at Velvia, though. Anyone have any experience with Rollei Digibase CR200? I love their C41 stuff.

BradS - The 4242 was from my original AOL screen name from 10 or so years ago. It's from The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, where 42 is "the answer to life, the universe and everything" ... what can I say? I was 10 or 12 years old at the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are projecting it, I would grab some Elite Chrome on line somewhere. Fabulous stuff. For scanning, stick with the Fuji. I have no idea why it scans so much easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a sh*t ton of expired elite chrome that I bought at a local photo store for around $2 a roll. Up until now I've been running it through C41, but I'll send it through E6 and see what happens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A single roll of Velvia 50 in 35mm is £9, while a 5 pack of 120 is £26? Am I missing something here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would give Rollei Digibase CR200 a try. I have found it to be a really great film that has colors that are not over saturated.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Velvia 100 is hard to beat. But since everytime you start using a Fuji film, they discontinue it, let me recommend Velvia 100f instead
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    AgfaPhoto CT Precisa 100 is manufactured by Fujifilm, it's cheaper than the "flag" Fujifilm names and I suggest to try it. I have never tried it personally (yet). This film is rumoured to be Fujifilm Sensia by another name and Juliet seems to have said it smells the same.

Rollei CR200 is also certainly a film to try. It is also available in 100ft bulk rolls and is quite inexpensive compared to the competition, so if you like the results why not. Beware it has a polyester base which means you have to be very careful when loading the camera. Also, polyester-base film is not well fit to motorized film transport as it could damage it. Acetate-base film breaks, polyester-base film is very, very tough to brake and the camera can break first.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin