Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1166

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Supra Endura - Cut Sheets from Ultrafine

I was under the impression that Kodak dicontinued cut sheets and now only manufactures Supra Endura in rolls. So I was surprised to see this:

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/kopoen.html

My inital thought (speculated elsewhere here) is that they are cutting the paper themselves and reselling it. If that's the case, however, I would expect a white box. A Kodak box is pictured. But maybe that's just a catalog picture and not actually what you get.

I'm confused. Does anyone know exactly what you do get if you purchase cut sheets from them? Any experiences (good or bad) with it? Any evidence (firsthand or otherwise) that they are cutting and storing it in ideal conditions -- i.e. darkness and refrigeration?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's old stock from England. At least boxed in England and I think it may have been coated there as well.
    I have some in my freezer and ran some about 8-12 months ago and it was fine.

There is no expiration but it says "Made in England by Kodak Limited, Harrow England
    Then there is a small ©2005 for when the label was printed I assume.

It ran fine for me back when I tried it.
    I would say it's worth the risk…try a box and if it meets your QC you could score some more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Freestyle also has cut sheet Kodak Endura, correct or no?
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Not on their website...

I've never used ultrafine but it seems it's worth googling for forum posts about their quality control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    I think they recently introduced some RA4 paper but no one knows who makes it.
    I haven't investigated it yet but plan to soon.

There is a thread around here somewhere on that stuff.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought some Supra Endura from Ultra-fine a couple of months ago. They re-cut & box it themselves in their own boxes. I bought a box of Ultra Endura & a box of Supra Endura. Both boxes of paper were fogged from a safelight. I also bought a box of the ultrafine brand paper and that was fogged as well.
    I'd stay away from them if I were you.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I bought some Supra Endura from Ultra-fine a couple of months ago. They re-cut & box it themselves in their own boxes. I bought a box of Ultra Endura & a box of Supra Endura. Both boxes of paper were fogged from a safelight. I also bought a box of the ultrafine brand paper and that was fogged as well.
    I'd stay away from them if I were you.
    The stuff I got from them through their ebay page was over a year, 18 months ago and came in Kodak boxes.
    Seems they have changed what they are doing so disregard what I said in my earlier post as it no longer seems to apply.

Thanks for the info Dslater, I was thinking of getting some more but will probably check out the arista/freestyle stuff this time. The ebay page shows a stock photo of the boxed Kodak stuff and hasn't changed since I got mine.
    I hope they did you right.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can't say what the Freestyle paper is as I have not used it and they won't say what their rebranded stuff actually is (not sure why this is the case...). However, I'm sitting on approx. 1000' of Kodak Endura Premier F surface in 11". I have an automatic roll paper cutter and I'd be happy to provide members here in the continental u.s. with 11 x whatever. The paper is being stored in a film fridge and has an expiration date of 1/14. So far I've had one transaction from a forum member here. I have not heard anything from him re: the paper but I can assure you that you'll be a happy printer printing with kodak's current top-of-the-line ra-4 offering. Unlike the previous endura VC, the endura premier doesn't suffer from cross-over in the highlights - kodak actually states that it's optimized for both digital and optical exposure..http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...q-path=2301210. The base is whiter than ever and the gamut is more pleasing than the endura v.c. Yeah, it's a bit more saturated - once again - but manageable and very responsive to flashing. PM me if anyone is interested.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin