Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 774

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Expiration 2003, Poorly Stored Fuji Velvia 50 Still Looks Great

Hello, today I picked up from Icon lab in L.A. a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 transparency film I exposed last week. I had found the unexposed roll sitting in a camera case that sat in hot closets all those years. I originally puchased it in an expired/short dated film rack at Calumet.

This is Southern California, so the film was exposed to heat year round for 9 years past its expiration date to very hot temperatures in my apt without AC (that will be my next big home purchase) , in three or four different, hot closets, albeit in original box and foil.

There is a ~5cc Salmon colored warm cast to it - but the DMax looks great.

this iPod snap shot of the long expired Fuji Velvia 50 doesn't do it justice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Velvia.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	58132
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 10-06-2012 at 12:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In Istanbul , my cheap fresh Kodak Color Negative films goes bad after 6 months , very bad. I dont know this is common or not or I dont know may be the quality of films are very poor. My photo lab have lots of rolls of Portra 400 and they went to useless category. I read in this forum , Kodak sends color paper to Australia , cut from the center from the big mega roll , paper went to much pressure and never flattents. I am sure Kodak playing similar games over here.
    I am happy , your velvia slides are very good. I am seeing same saturated colors from the media everywhere past 20 years but my green foliage experience was wet and cold , just natural and there was very elegant light plays. I never experienced the same success with other film , camera was Kiev 88 and 80 mm lens , what an excellent camera. AH !

Shooter
    35mm
    This one is Kodak Ektar 125 that expired in 4/1992 then shot and processed in 9/2010. Based on this testing, it can be safely rated at ISO32-64.

Here is another frame from the roll taken at ISO32.

I picked up a box of 100 rolls (24exp) for $20. This was not cold stored for all those years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is another expired film - Fuji Superia 1600. It expired in 2002 and I shot and processed it in 11/2010. It was refrigerated all the time it was unused.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Name:	tech pan expired 1982.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	58177 Tech pan 35mm developed in d76 stock for 6 minutes. Got a fewrolls of film recently and all were expired in 1982.As far as I know they were kept in a bag in a basement in Florida.The Tech pan I've found looks the way I like it when rated at asa 12.The plus x looks fine when rated at 25,I've got some hanging right now.Neither have any visible fog.There were also 4 rolls of kodachrome that I haven't done anything with-yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andre, that's what my experience with expired velvia has looked like.
    Varying degrees of shift toward magenta depending.
    I usually avoid it but you example looks pretty decent for the conditions you stated.

knock some frames off

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post

Name:	tech pan expired 1982.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	58177 ...The plus x looks fine when rated at 25,I've got some hanging right now.Neither have any visible fog....
    Question Alan, is the Plus -X also from the early 1980"s. You wrote you rated it at ASA 25, is this a typo? How does it look now that its dry?

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I shot expired Velvia 50 once and the magenta cast totally ruined the colours. I scanned the slides and converted then to b&w.

Velvia 100f, on the other hand, seems to have a blueish cast when expired. I have a few bricks of that stuff in my fridge and I love it.

Velvia 100f (exp. 2006)
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Still have some Astia, Provia 400X and Velvia 100 in the fridge that are expired since April. These posts gave me some relief!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    Still have some Astia, Provia 400X and Velvia 100 in the fridge that are expired since April. These posts gave me some relief!
    Dude, if they have been cold stored and are "expired" since April 2012, then they are good as factory fresh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin