Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,756   Online: 838

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thermometer for Color Processing?

Can anyone provide a suggestion on a good thermometer for use in color film development? I have been doing black and white for 30 years and just starting to explore doing my own E-6 at home. I know temperature control and accuracy is critical so I wanted to make sure I got a good thermometer.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Kodak Process Thermometer was the best. Accurate to 1/8 degree, but they're not made anymore, discontinued years ago because it was a mercury thermometer. Scientific supply companies still sell highly accurate mercury thermometers.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For several years when I was processing color reversal film I used an ordinary mercury lab thermometer. Never had any problem either with density or color balance.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by largeformat65 View Post
    Can anyone provide a suggestion on a good thermometer for use in color film development?
    Gerald mentions lab thermometers. Have a look at these affordable, general purpose, non-mercury lab therometers offered by ICL Calibration Laboratories, Inc. (Note that they are affordable because they are not formally calibrated and certified.)

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to use a dial thermometer, a metal one with a long metal probe part and a dial for reading temp. Then I discovered it was 2 or so degrees out of calibration and went to using plain old floating darkroom thermometers. They work great but they are slowwww. I keep one in my water bath (A standard scientific lab water bath) and stick a clean one in the chem bottle to verify temp just before processing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00144.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	58226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00143.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	58227
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Search Ebay for a Kodak Process Thermometer Type3.. This one is very high priced but if you wait you can get one for under $30 like i did..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KODAK-DARKRO...item2a2381b74c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use an old Jobo 3321 thermometer, accurate to 1/10th of a degree C, that I picked on ebay for 10 or 20 euros. It seems very accurate and I had no problems developing E6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's easy enough to calibrate a thermometer and save quite a few dollars. An ice-water mix is 0oC and once corrected for atmospheric pressure boiling water is 100oC. Various organic compounds can also be used. Certain compounds are better than others. The substance should be of reasonable purity and the molal freezing point depression constant must be small. A good choice would be naphthalene (one type of moth crystals) since it melts at 80.2oC and the constant is 6.9 oC/mole. The naphthalene would have to be very impure for the Mp to be significantly in error. Make sure to buy naphthalene and not paradichlorobenzene moth balls.

Melt the naphthalene making sure that it comes up to the immersion line of the thermometer. Then record the temperature as a function of time. The temperature will first drop as the naphthalene is allowed to cool. Then the temperature will level off as it begins to solidfy. Finally the temperature will again begin to drop when all the naphthalene has solidified. Now graph your results. The temperature for the middle of the straight line portion of the graph represents the freezing point 80.2oC.

When using melting/freezing points remember that both solid and liquid must be present for the result to be accurate.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-09-2012 at 01:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Absolute accuracy is not essential. What is essential is consistency. I am reasonably lucky to have a mercury thermometer which when bought was guaranteed to be accurate to within .25 of a degree. I also have a Kodak digital thermometer which didn't come with any guarantee of accuracy but when compared with the mercury one they read the same. I use the digital one in preference because it has a metal probe and responds to changes quicker than the glass mercury. It is also easier to use as well.

What I am trying to say here is buy a good thermometer and compare it with a certified one and note any difference. On the other hand there are so many variables that I don't think +/- 1 degree makes a terrific load of difference so long as you have consistency.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A very cheap, high accuracy way would be using a digital clinical thermometer. Though, as their fluid-stem counterparts, they have a maximum-value duisplay. Handling such could become annoying.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin