Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,320   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are doing C41, the dev mixing with an acidic stop or the bleach generated a LOT of CO2 gas, more than enough to pop a sealed lid off a tank.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    If you are doing C41, the dev mixing with an acidic stop or the bleach generated a LOT of CO2 gas, more than enough to pop a sealed lid off a tank.
    Even garden variety fixer like Ilford Hypam tends to want to release some gas.

And David, a $20.00 tank is a cheap one indeed!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Try Durst tanks. Mine leaks not a drop but filling and emptying takes a little longer than my Jobos which with vigorous inversion will leak slightly but not enough to make a difference to the safety margin that Jobo builds in when it tells you to use 240 mls for 35mm and I fill to 250 mls becasue it is an easier number

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It took me a while to get used to the stainless steel reels and tanks. Now that I am I like them so much better than using plastic because:
    1-Now that I have the hang of it, I can load the SS reels faster and more easily than the plastic. I've also never had a steel reel pop open and spring the film loose
    2-Since I started processing C-41, the temperature control of the steel is very convenient.
    3-They use less chemical (580 ml in the Paterson vs. 440 ml in the SS for 2 35mm rolls)
    4-The steel reels and tanks are easier to dry and can still be used without trouble even if not perfectly dry. Not so the plastic.

I have a single real SS tank that does not leak, although the steel cap is sometimes a challenge to get off in time critical spots when changing chemicals.

A Question:
    The plastic lid on my double reel SS tank has a crack in it and leaks, does anyone know if these can be replaced?
    Louis
    (Paladin1420)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use SS Nikor tanks exclusively for 35mm to 4x5 sheets. Tempering bath for C-41 and E-6. Never had a problem with drips, never had trouble maintaining temperature.

Some "problems" are problems only if you want them to be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    even my yankee hand tank that has a crack in the side
    from overzealous d-bubbling doesn't leak ...
    unicolor drums, well ....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin1420 View Post
    A Question:
    The plastic lid on my double reel SS tank has a crack in it and leaks, does anyone know if these can be replaced?
    Yes. They should be readily available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_for_all.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Yes. They should be readily available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_for_all.html
    Thanks for that. I didn't think to check, I had assumed you needed to buy everything new. I suppose they all must be a standard size.
    Louis
    (Paladin1420)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I use a SS tank with a flexible plastic lid as originally made by Kindermann. They never leak. The SS tank and a water bath allow very precise temperature control.
    I second that, I use the same tank. If it leaks, it's because I didn't make sure the lid was pressed down all the way, which is in no way the fault of the tank.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    I use Paterson tanks and actually twirl agitate the bleach and fix steps with the tank sitting in a tempered water bath (in a small Playmate cooler). This has been working well for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin