Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,412   Online: 1084

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Tanks: they leak and they lose temperature. WHY?

Coca-Cola can make a leak proof bottle for about 2 cents. So can multitudes of other manufacturers. Why cannot there be a film tank that absolutely, really and truly does not leak even one drop?

And one that holds temperature like a Thermos?

Why are these questions so very esoteric and unimaginable to fathom?

The technology has existed for years. WHY NOT? - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I often wonder the same thing. All of my development tanks leak horribly!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Coca-Cola can make a leak proof bottle for about 2 cents. So can multitudes of other manufacturers. Why cannot there be a film tank that absolutely, really and truly does not leak even one drop?

And one that holds temperature like a Thermos?

Why are these questions so very esoteric and unimaginable to fathom?

The technology has existed for years. WHY NOT? - David Lyga
    Don't know David, where do all the flies go in Winter ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    There is laughably no reason. I really do not understand some things in life. Especially when they are so easily solved. Soft drink manufacturers have solved this for pennies but even if you pay $20 for a tank you can be assured that it will leak. Why am I the only one bringing this up?

The older I get the more I desperately cling to reality and common sense. And no, I do not require a Kindle to read a book. I jot pencil markings on a paper page.

The flies die, Ben, because it gets too cold. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a very good point David why hasn't anybody ever marketed an insulated developing tank that would retain the temperature like the stainless steel double walled insulated jug I have on my filter coffee machine that stays hot for hours ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the much maligned Combiplan with no leaks. I have say though, initially I did until I figured out the issue. You press the lid on thinking it is tight and secure, dribbles persisted. Because the lid is softer rubber it "grabs" a bit and doesn't really secure, water tight unless you apply a good deal of pressure all the way around. I do it by pressing the tank bottom to my chest, then working my fingers around the rim firmly press the lid against the rim of the tank. No leaks since and I do inversion agitation.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Single-walled stainless steel tanks are preferred precisely because of that thermally conductive property. That very characteristic is what makes precision temperature control in a tightly maintained water bath possible. Very low thermal inertia. Contained liquids respond very quickly to changes in external water bath temperatures.

In my own case I maintain water bath temperatures using a Hass Intellifaucet K250. Marvelous temperature control possible using this precision tool. In the winter I often set the Intellifaucet to, say, 68.4F to counteract the slight loss of solution temperatures resulting from the colder darkroom ambient air temperature. Single-walled stainless is what makes this possible.

What needs to be insulated is not the stainless steel processing tank (or tanks). It's the container holding the water bath in which they sit. That's the common reference point that you don't want to drift. I would never use plastic processing tanks. Too difficult to precisely adjust. Especially for color.

This particular behavior isn't a bug. It's a feature.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, my Leonard valve isn't in the same technical marvel class as the Hass.

But I run a steady stream into a gallon-sized stainless steel mixing tank (think stock pot).

Then the (you are so right David Lyga) leaky Nikor tank gets immersed completely into the 68-degree F water... the temperature of the bath is monitored by the CompnTemp USB probe.

I have to wonder though why there aren't more double-wall vacuum tanks... Doesn't the ASA specification require a thermos bottle?

Shooter
    35mm
    The lid on my larger Jobo 1510+1530 tank leaks very slightly during inversions, but it is much older than the Paterson System 4 (the sort with a tupperware-like lid) which doesn't leak at all - and which is also much quicker to fill or empty. Happily I have not tried a steel tank to compare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a SS tank with a flexible plastic lid as originally made by Kindermann. They never leak. The SS tank and a water bath allow very precise temperature control.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin