Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,491   Online: 1112

Shooter
    35mm

Question about labels on C-41 "press kit" packages

Hi APUG,

I am wondering... when B&H sends these powder C-41 development kits to Canada... do they affix any sort of warning labels to the outer package?

Although I understand that these kits are relatively low risk, and can be air mailed and possibly even taken in carry-on luggage, and the MSDS for the Unicolour kit (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/10123-...ng-Kit-1-Liter) seems fairly benign, I would not want anyone who might receive the package for me to be alarmed by alarming labels!

If you only have information relevant to other shippers, or to domestic shipping within the US, I would still appreciate if you could let me know what you have seen on your packages, if anything.

Thank you advance for your help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, just comes in a box. I usually order two at a time. The cheap shipping with B+H handling the customs and taxes is the way to go. My stuff arrives in 4-5 days. They make it very easy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you very much, Jeff. Just in case there is some randomness in terms of how they ship these, have others had the same experience?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no randomness in shipping to Canada, unless you tell them to. Use the prepaid Purolator shipping method and all will be fine. If it needed warning labels, they wouldn't ship it across the border.

Edit after all, BHPhoto is not a small outfit, something like over 1,000 employees.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are going to do a lot of C41 processing, see the sticky post at the top of this forum for Kodak liquid concentrate catalog numbers and various posts on where to buy them. Have fun.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to you both. I came across this thread from a while ago...

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...85682-p-2.html

It refers to "California cancer and birth defects warnings" - can anyone comment on whether these appear on the shipping box?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you considered contacting Beau Photo in Vancouver to ask about the Arista or Tetenal C41 kits?

Their email is film at beauphoto.com and their telephone number is on their website: http://www.beauphoto.com/frames/filmfrm.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shipping box is a plain brown box with your items inside it, just like the other ten thousand or more that they ship out everyday.

Don't look at the labels on a bottle of Vodka or a pack of cigarettes.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    There is no randomness in shipping to Canada, unless you tell them to. Use the prepaid Purolator shipping method and all will be fine. If it needed warning labels, they wouldn't ship it across the border.

Edit after all, BHPhoto is not a small outfit, something like over 1,000 employees.
    That makes lots of sense. Check the return address, if it's 1151 Martingrove, Etobicoke, ON then it's going through PCL Logistics.

Let me explain that one, PCL Logistics has some warehouses in the US. The consignor (B&H) takes a bunch of stuff going to Canada, they put it on a skid, and ship it to a PCL Logistics warehouse, customs inspects it and it's manifest, and it gets loaded on a trailer. Does not matter if it's a DG or not, as long as the fact is marked on the parcel and manifest, all kinds of other stuff from other places gets loaded on that trailer (a 53' trailer holds a lot), when the trailer is loaded, it's closed up and customs puts a seal on it. That trailer is then hooked to a truck and driven across the border, all that customs does is check the seal number on the paperwork and the seal number on the trailer match, if they do, and the driver's ID checks out, they wave it on through. The driver drops the trailer at a Purolator Hub, they pull off the skids, and break them down, dumping the freight onto the sort line, DG's are separated out, for special handling. Customs then bills PCL Logistics for the customs, brokerage and GST/HST. The Tetenal Kit is about $33 to my house, that's not bad....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again for your replies. For the benefit of anyone else who may read this thread, my kit did indeed arrive in a plain brown shipping box!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin